The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Chaney referred to "illegal screens" being set by the St. Joe team. Then today I was listening to the St. Louis Univ vs Marquette game on a St. Louis station and those guys kept referring to "illegal screens" that were continuously being set by the Marquette team. The announcer even made the comment that their coach has been able to teach his players how to do this so it won't get called. Here's my question; if they're "illegal screens" I would assume they'd get called, so what are they talking about? I didn't watch either game so I'm guessing they're screening and then moving in the same direction as the ball handler is moving. ?? I can only guess that the announcers are seeing something and they don't understand why it isn't called. I'm sure they just don't understand a rule. Can anyone shed some light here?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Basically there are those that think all screens must be completely still which is not at all true. If that was the case the pick and roll would never work or be allowed.

TV commentators are the last people you should listen to about rules of the game. It is really that simple.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, comentators are oftentimes not up to speed and spew from their mouth without repercussions, at least that I know of. I didn't know if maybe somebody here watched those games and could offer their insight into these particular "illegal screens". I quotation them because that's what they call them with their surface knowledge of rules.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
The announcer even made the comment that their coach has been able to teach his players how to do this so it won't get called. Here's my question; if they're "illegal screens" I would assume they'd get called, so what are they talking about?
You have to consider a couple of things.

- Generally media folks go with the flow. If "illegal screens" are in the news, they talk about illegal screens. If Martha Stewart's getting out of jail...well, you get the idea.

- Announcers are paid to announce. It doesn't matter much what comes out of their heads, they just need to have the words.

- The best way to teach how to screen illegally such that it's not called is to teach how to screen *legally*. (There are ways to screen illegally and limit the odds it will be called, but that's another discussion.)