The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

In Michigan, we've had several women who were head coaches of high school boy's varsity basketball teams.

We have never had one, that I can remember, who has coached her team to a 25-0 record, until now. Her team will be making an appearance in our quarterfinal tournament round. (Michigan playoffs = districts, regionals, QF's, Semi's, Finals). The team has a good chance to advance.

It would set a precedent here if the team advances to the semi's or finals. (I believe that she has already set a couple of other precedents)

Any women coaches advanced with their teams deep into the playoffs in other states?

Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot name one women's coach that has ever coached a boy's team to my knowledge in this state. Maybe it has happened, but I have never had a women coach a boy's team in any of my games. It sounds like Michigan is doing thing other states are not doing.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 08:25pm
In Memoriam

oatmealqueen,
Will the lady coach have to choose between boys or girls next year, or does she only coach boys?
mick
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I cannot name one women's coach that has ever coached a boy's team to my knowledge in this state. Maybe it has happened, but I have never had a women coach a boy's team in any of my games. It sounds like Michigan is doing thing other states are not doing.

Peace
Same here.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 08:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
oatmealqueen,
Will the lady coach have to choose between boys or girls next year, or does she only coach boys?
mick
Mick:

Us Trolls have a situation where that choice might have to be made. You may or may not remebe a girls coach suing because she didn't get the boys job available at her school. She won and had to choose between coaching the girls and receive a large settlement, or coaching both teams and receiving a reduced settlement. She chose the latter.

It will be interesting to see what she does if shes not able to keep both coaching positions.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:
oatmealqueen,
mick
Mick:

Us Trolls have a situation where that choice might have to be made. You may or may not remebe a girls coach suing because she didn't get the boys job available at her school. She won and had to choose between coaching the girls and receive a large settlement, or coaching both teams and receiving a reduced settlement. She chose the latter.

It will be interesting to see what she does if shes not able to keep both coaching positions.
Stat-Man,
Oh, my!
I do remember that.
Ah, the twisted webs we weave....
mick
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

One of the best boys coaches in the Orlando area is a woman. She has earned a ton of respect from most of the officials in our association, as well as the other coaches.

She's had a very successful career so far, and I suspect the best years for her and her teams are ahead.

Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ruth Lovelace has been coaching Boys and Girls High School in Brooklyn for a while and her teams always make the playoffs.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

There is a small school in central IL, DeLand-Weldon, that has a women's coach for the boy's varsity team. She only coaches boys, because the girls co-op with another school. She took over two years ago, and the rumor was because there were discipline problems on the team. She has done well, and the games I have had with her she has been very respectful and has done nothing but coach during the game. I hope she gets to continue.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I reffed at a boys bball camp a couple of years ago, at Eastern Washington University, and there was one varsity team there from BC that had a woman coach. She and I were the only women at the camp, and we got to be very good friends, very quickly. Her team was from a small school in a small town, and they had done pretty well the season before the camp. Her boys respected and obeyed her and they seemed to be having a successful experience.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know of any varsity boys coaches in Utah. But there is a woman that coaches the sophomore boys at Wasatch High. Wasatch have had a lot of success in past years with both boys and girls basketball (which generally means the head coach isn't going to be leaving any time soon), so she might have to go to another school to get her shot at coaching varsity.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
oatmealqueen,
mick
Mick,
She only coaches boy's, as far as I know.
She's a former semi-pro player who played overseas for a few years.
Barb
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:

Peace
Ditto for Indiana! I don't know of any women who are varsity boys' head coaches. I have seen assistant coaches who are women, but that is VERY rare!
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:

Peace
Ditto for Indiana! I don't know of any women who are varsity boys' head coaches. I have seen assistant coaches who are women, but that is VERY rare!
Dittos for Southern Illinois.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Elcho, WI (north-east of Wausau)has a women head coach. There was an article in the papers about a couple of others that have coached a boys team, but she is the only one curently doing so.