The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is ludicrous.

Last night's Indiana-Wisconsin game was officiated by Ed Hightower, Steve Welmer, and Rick Hartzell. During the last few minutes, former monkey Steve Lavin berated the officials for missing a few calls that even the most amateur viewer could see that they did NOT. It just reiterated for me that Lavin's an idiot. But that's beside my point.

Tonight Doug Gottlieb basically accused Rick Hartzell of screwing Indiana. You see, Hartzell is the AD at Northern Iowa. UNI and Indiana are both fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament. Gottlieb accused Hartzell of changing his officiating to help Indiana lose, so that UNI has a better chance to make the tourney.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Did you see the clean block that Lavin went on a rant about for a couple of minutes? When the replay showed the block was entirely clean, Lavin could not bring himself to admit he did not see the call correctly or that he just got it wrong. He tried to save his position even when Brett Mustburger (sp?) made it clear he wanted to see replay. Of course the original normal broadcast angle the play looked like there could be a foul. But when the end line angle was shown, it was a totally different story.

I got a huge laugh out of this one.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN

Tonight Doug Gottlieb basically accused Rick Hartzell of screwing Indiana. You see, Hartzell is the AD at Northern Iowa. UNI and Indiana are both fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament. Gottlieb accused Hartzell of changing his officiating to help Indiana lose, so that UNI has a better chance to make the tourney.
I didn't watch or listen to that game closely, but what I do remember is the discussion focussing on the appearance of conflict of interest and the announcers wonderng why Hartzell wasn't replaced given the circumstance.

I didn't hear any accusatons made, but as I said I wasn't following along all that closely.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 07:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Brett Mustburger (sp?) comes to his defense.

Did anyone here when Brett M came to Rick Hartzell's defense? He did not seem to mention Doug G by name, but he said, "anyone that questions the integrity of Hartzell is flat out wrong." I did not see the entire game or how long the comments were made. But Brett M seemed to go out of his way to support Rick Hartzell.

I have to give credit where credit is due.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

UNI's Rick Hartzell

Here's my response to the Indiana fans, stop your crying please:

By SEAN KEELER
REGISTER SPORTS COLUMNIST
March 6, 2005

St. Louis, Mo. - A little nugget for the Hoosier conspiracy theorists out there: Rick Hartzell worked the Indiana-Michigan State game, too. And the Indiana-Purdue game before that.

Hoosiers 78, Spartans 74.

Hoosiers 79, Boilermakers 62.

Hmm. So much for ESPN analyst Doug Gottlieb's latest hunch from out in left field, that Hartzell, Northern Iowa's athletic director by day and Big Ten basketball official by night, was somehow trying to yank Indiana off the NCAA Tournament bubble.

Hmm. A major Hoosier upset. A major Hoosier rout. Hartzell must have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Or maybe he was just doing his job.

"I guess I got it right on those days," he sighed. Hartzell was in Memphis Saturday afternoon, on his way to officiate the Tigers' basketball game against Cincinnati, which tipped off 25 minutes after his Panthers met Southwest Missouri State in the quarterfinals of the Missouri Valley Tournament.

"There's an old saying: 'The trouble with officials is they don't care which side wins.' That's the way it is with me. I'm just calling plays. That's it. Honest to God , that's it."

Hartzell has been a college basketball official in the Midwest for more than 20 years, working 17 NCAA Tournaments and at least 10 regional championships. He's extremely careful not to let his worlds overlap. One winter, when assigned a game between Creighton and Hawaii, he called Bluejays coach Dana Altman in advance to make sure it was OK. (Altman said yes.)

While he avoids the Valley, Hartzell is in the regular officials' rotation for the Big Ten, Big 12 and Conference USA, meaning he might have to make a call somewhere that might indirectly affect Iowa, Iowa State, Drake - or Northern Iowa.

Last Tuesday was one of those nights. Hartzell was working the Indiana-Wisconsin game in Madison, a game televised by ESPN. Late in the second half, the Hoosiers trailed by one when Badgers forward Mike Wilkinson appeared to foul an Indiana player. Hartzell was in position to make a call. He didn't. The Hoosiers wound up losing, 62-60, in a game that would have sweetened their NCAA Tournament dossier.

Two nights later, Hartzell was called out on national television. During halftime of ESPN2's Illinois-Purdue game, Gottlieb blasted Hartzell and the Big Ten for putting him in position to influence the fate of one of the Panthers' bubble brethren.

"I'm not saying there is a clear conflict of interest," Gottlieb said in transcripts released by the Big Ten, "but there is at least that appearance."

Gottlieb makes a fair point. I get at least three letters every year asking why Hartzell is on the floor for games that might affect his school or others in the state.

Some question, and rightly, how Hartzell can properly assess his winter sports programs when he's on the road all week. (He scheduled the Memphis-Cincinnati game a few weeks ago, figuring that the Panthers would be the third seed and play in the last night game Saturday.)

Badgers coach Bo Ryan was wrong to chide Gottlieb, the one-time Oklahoma State point guard, for ripping Wisconsin center Brian Butch earlier this year. It's Gottlieb's job. Observe. Adjudicate.

But the guy's clutching at straws here.

For one, it's more than a little two-faced to see a man who stole credit cards as a freshman at Notre Dame - a scandal that forced Gottlieb's transfer to Oklahoma State - pointing a finger at another individual's moral integrity.

For another, Hartzell says he was assigned to the Indiana-Wisconsin game during the first week in February, when the Hoosiers (and Panthers, for that matter) were a far cry from the NCAA's slippery fence.

League officials have quickly rallied to Hartzell's defense. The Big Ten released a statement late Friday afternoon condemning Gottlieb.

"It's absurd," Valley commissioner Doug Elgin sniffed. "Just because his basketball program (at Northern Iowa) has turned around, I don't think it's fair to draw that kind of conclusion."

Given a night or two of reflection, Gottlieb agreed. The analyst called Hartzell Friday to apologize.

"I think he wishes it didn't come out like it did," Hartzell said. "I think it takes a pretty stand-up guy to call you and that's what he did. We parted with no problems. I think it's old news."

So are the Panthers. Apparently, someone forgot to let Deke Thompson in on the conspiracy: The Southwest Missouri guard nailed a trey with 49 seconds left, a rainbow with one tick left on the shot clock, to key a 70-62 Bears victory.

"If we win a couple, we're in," Hartzell had said before the tip. "Win one, we'll be on the bubble. If we don't win any, we're out."

They're out. And here's another nugget: From 244 miles away, there wasn't a darn thing Hartzell could do about it.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Great article! Thanks for posting it both places. I got to hear Hartzell speak at a camp last spring. He was very impressive and entertaining. Definitely the kind of official that should get the schedule he gets.