The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have never posted concerning things that happen in adult league rec. games. However, these were my last games of the season so I thought I would share my experience.

I have gone through the season without much controversy. I gave one technical during the High School and College season. Didn't give out any during rec. league games until the last two nights. The last three nights have been the county tournament. The intensity picked up and everybody chirped a little more. I understood this, so I let more of it go than I normally would have.

The championship game was last night. I worked with a good official. We had two very good teams. Team A was young and athletic. Team B was old, slow, and very disciplined. Going into the game, most thought Team A would run away with it. They did also.

Team A came out pressing and got alot of fouls early on. They got down by double digits when they finally called off the press. However, they could not overcome the lead that Team B had established.

Late in the game, Team A started fouling more and more. Their goal was to have the other team miss free throws and they would make their shot at the other end.

One by one, their players started fouling out. When they were down to five players, Team A's #30 commits a foul and then pushes the guy he fouls into the stands. I gave him a technical foul, forcing him to leave the game. A player from Team B's bench came out and started fighting with #30 . Another technical. Two at the same time, almost.
As we shot free throws for the common foul, I glanced over to were team A's bench was and to my surprise, the four players who had fouled at were standing, giving me the bird. I thought to myself, what better tribute could I receive than to have these guys flipping me off. Needless to say, I could have given 4 more technicals or do what I did, end the game with 15 seconds left and Team A having no chance of winning.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
I have never posted concerning things that happen in adult league rec. games. However, these were my last games of the season so I thought I would share my experience.

I have gone through the season without much controversy. I gave one technical during the High School and College season. Didn't give out any during rec. league games until the last two nights. The last three nights have been the county tournament. The intensity picked up and everybody chirped a little more. I understood this, so I let more of it go than I normally would have.

The championship game was last night. I worked with a good official. We had two very good teams. Team A was young and athletic. Team B was old, slow, and very disciplined. Going into the game, most thought Team A would run away with it. They did also.

Team A came out pressing and got alot of fouls early on. They got down by double digits when they finally called off the press. However, they could not overcome the lead that Team B had established.

Late in the game, Team A started fouling more and more. Their goal was to have the other team miss free throws and they would make their shot at the other end.

One by one, their players started fouling out. When they were down to five players, Team A's #30 commits a foul and then pushes the guy he fouls into the stands. I gave him a technical foul, forcing him to leave the game. A player from Team B's bench came out and started fighting with #30 . Another technical. Two at the same time, almost.
As we shot free throws for the common foul, I glanced over to were team A's bench was and to my surprise, the four players who had fouled at were standing, giving me the bird. I thought to myself, what better tribute could I receive than to have these guys flipping me off. Needless to say, I could have given 4 more technicals or do what I did, end the game with 15 seconds left and Team A having no chance of winning.
From the title of the post, I figured it would end something like this. Either that or you are unbelievably conceited!
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well you've always been number one with me too, Bama
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

lol well you had me, I was thinking you got some cool post season assignment.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Darn it Ray, you beat me to the punchline. Hey, they were just saying "We're number 1!"
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Wink

There no feeling quite like the feeling of being number one in the hearts of the players whom you respect the most
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 03:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

No, no, no! They were just indicating how many foul shots were remaining. I get this kind of help from benches all the time - also coaches and parents (and sometimes even partners).

Wait a minute!