The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lifetime mystery solved (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18863-lifetime-mystery-solved.html)

Junker Wed Mar 02, 2005 09:25am

This is a little off topic, but last night I bought the new Hoosiers DVD with deleted scenes and I finally got to see how Buddy came back to the team, rather than magically appearing. I feel as though my life is more complete now. Also, on the extras they have the game film from the high school game the movie is based on. Pretty interesting to watch the game and officials. Coverage areas look pretty random. Anyway, I'm off to find a new, great mystery to ponder.

drothamel Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:04am

That is pretty cool, I may have to pick that one up. What a great movie.

smoref Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:08am

I have seen Hoosiers so many times and have never noticed that Buddy came back. Was he the one at the first practice that asked "when are we going to start" and then the coach Dale kicked him out?

When did he reappear back on the team?

I guess I will have to pop in the old VHS this weekend or go out and buy the DVD (which I had already planned on doing)

Junker Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42am

Yep, he's the one that quits early on, and then he shows up playing again in the second or third game. It's been kind of a nagging question for me all these years. Other interesting things include the fact that the actor playing Jimmy was the only one in the movie that didn't play college basketball. They also said that the actor playing Ollie was probably the best player out of the group.

PS2Man Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:45am

I have seen that movie many times and I never paid that close attention. I guess I would have to buy the DVD to see what I have missed. It has been awhile since I have watched the movie from start to finish.

TriggerMN Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47am

Huh. When I saw Lifetime mystery, I figured you were watching some movie where Tracey Gold or Meredith Baxter-Birney was being abused by her husband, then joined an anonymous group, which caused her to turn around and kill her husband with a shovel.

3..2...1...let 'er fly.....in and out.

Junker Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:29am

No Lifetime movies for us single folk. I'm not even sure if that's part of my cable package to tell the truth. I spend my time watching the ESPN reality show with Dee Brown trying to be an anchor. I can't believe they brought back Dee Brown without Harold Minor and Kenny "Sky" Walker.

I'll make it.

Boiler14 Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:51am

I knew Merle (#12) from when he played in high school (Western Boone). He was a couple years older than me and had a great high school career. Unfortunately, he killed himself a little over a year ago over a divorce he was going through.

Was Ollie really the best player? Never heard that.

Adam Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:58am

I'm starting to wonder what kind of stuff goes on up in Ames. :D

M&M Guy Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
No Lifetime movies for us single folk. I'm not even sure if that's part of my cable package to tell the truth. I spend my time watching the ESPN reality show with Dee Brown trying to be an anchor. I can't believe they brought back Dee Brown without Harold Minor and Kenny "Sky" Walker.

I'll make it.

Hmmm...why does the phrase, "Get a life" keep running thru my head? :)

Let me add another interesting side note to "Hoosiers". I work for a farm management company that manages ag properties all over the contry. We manage a farm in Indiana that was farmed by Kent Poole, #12 in the movie. At the office we even have one of those publicity shots that was set up like a team picture of the "1952 State Champs", complete with Gene Hackman as coach and the eight players in their uniforms. I met Kent a couple of times, and he seemed like a real nice guy. Unfortunatly, he took his own life back in 2003. I guess success doesn't always equal happiness.

Junker Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:05pm

I'm not sure what goes on in Ames these days, but it used to be we'd watch Hoosiers, play hoops, drink cheap beer, and count Big 12 championships. I know for sure that one of the above hasn't happened in a few years. Trigger spent his time talking trash to first team Big 12 players and beating them in pool.

Jesse James Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
Yep, he's the one that quits early on, and then he shows up playing again in the second or third game. It's been kind of a nagging question for me all these years. Other interesting things include the fact that the actor playing Jimmy was the only one in the movie that didn't play college basketball. They also said that the actor playing Ollie was probably the best player out of the group.

Ollie was Wade Schenck, who sat on the bench on a very good L&M High team, a school of about 125 kids who reached the final 8 in Indiana back when they had a real tournament (no classifications). Steve Hollar (Rade) who started on a state champ at Warsaw, and later DePauw was the best player from Hoosiers.

Sven Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:17pm

Loved the story when I first saw "Hoosiers" a few years back.

About a week ago, I caught the end of the movie on cable. Looked as though the players and officials were wearing authentic-for-their-time uniforms.

And then I saw the standards and backboards -- straight out of today. Wish their historian could have got that detail right as well.

Still a great movie.

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 04, 2005 07:39am

David Anspaugh is also responsible for Rudy.

Wht a great pair of movies to be association with.

stmaryrams Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:38am

Also take a look at the pre Wilt key.

It's really key shaped.

My son's school gym still has that key inside the current one. Confuses the heck outta some players.