The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When do you request payment for a "No Game" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18851-when-do-you-request-payment-no-game.html)

3whitey Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:33am

Showed up for a jr high game monday night and no one is there. Found out later that the game was moved about a week ago to the opponents school. When i got home there was a voicemail from the AD stating there was not a game that night it had been moved to the opponets school about a week ago. Should I request payment for that game (I did have a contract for that night).

blindzebra Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:37am

My rule is 24 hours notice.

If it got moved why didn't you move with it, since it was on the same day?

Even if the home school gets their own officials, in the case of a game moving gyms you'd think keeping the origional officials would be the fairest and easiest thing to do.

mick Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:40am

If I was the A.D., I would send it to you without a request.
If the amount is less than $100, I would forget it.
mick

stmaryrams Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:37pm

Something they never taught in our class but, be sure to confirm your games either by phone or postcard in advance. I usually call the school a few days before, even earlier if the game is over the holiday break. If you do this, it shifts the burden to the AD or site manager to inform you of changes.

dknick78 Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:42pm

No call... Ask for pay...

You have your time and effort to get to the game. It is the least they could do.

BktBallRef Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by 3whitey
Showed up for a jr high game monday night and no one is there. Found out later that the game was moved about a week ago to the opponents school. When i got home there was a voicemail from the AD stating there was not a game that night it had been moved to the opponets school about a week ago. Should I request payment for that game (I did have a contract for that night).
If you show up, he owes you for the game.

Our state policy is that once you leave for the game, you get half fee. So if they call you on the way to the game and say we've had to cancel, you get half fee.

If you get to the site and they can't play for some reason, for example a power outage, or a car accident involving players (both of which I've had) you get half fee.

If you go to the site and find no game, no one there, and no one contact you or the booking agent, you get the full fee.

PS2Man Tue Mar 01, 2005 01:12pm

I would make that request if you showed up to the game.

Not all junior high games are given out by people that assign high school games so it might be difficult to get the very same policy that covers those games. If you get a game through a board or assignor I would talk to them first. They may be able to facilitate that request for you.

BktBallRef Tue Mar 01, 2005 01:14pm

Our policy covers all public school games.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Mar 1st, 2005 at 02:11 PM]

Boiler14 Tue Mar 01, 2005 01:22pm

If you are talking JH, you aren't talking a lot of money to begin with. Yes, all of our time is valuable and it is a bummer to go to an empty parking lot. However, public relations is important and it will usually pay dividends later on.

JRutledge Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Our ploicy covers all public school games.
This just goes to show that every place is not the same. All IHSA members schools (High Schools only) fall under one policy. JH schools are not even guaranteed to be under any governing body. So the policy might vary drastically just in a few mile radius.

Quote:

Originally posted by Boiler14
If you are talking JH, you aren't talking a lot of money to begin with. Yes, all of our time is valuable and it is a bummer to go to an empty parking lot. However, public relations is important and it will usually pay dividends later on.
I know some JHs that are paying more than HS games. Once again it depends on where you live.

Peace

cmckenna Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:16pm

The answers that say to forget about it just baffle me. Somtimes we have to go out of our way to get to these games and to not be notified of a change is just wrong. I am out gas that I paid for, I may have had to leave work early or pass on another assignment etc. Somebody is going to pay.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:24pm

If they hire you to do a job and you show up...you should get paid. It cost you time and money (travel) just to be there. You could have taken a different game.

mick Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna
The answers that say to forget about it just baffle me. Somtimes we have to go out of our way to get to these games and to not be notified of a change is just wrong. I am out gas that I paid for, I may have had to leave work early or pass on another assignment etc. Somebody is going to pay.
I call the day of, or day before, each game.
If I show up for a game than ain't, ...my error. :)
mick
<HR>
If I expect someone to bring my lunch, I may go hungry.

PS2Man Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna
Someone should pay. That does not mean they will pay.

gordon30307 Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:45pm

Since the game was moved some time ago and you weren't notified you should be paid. You lost the opportunity to replace the game. That being said you should use some common sense about how hard to pursue it. If you've been working at that school or conference for a number of years and they've been a good source of games and this is the first time that its happened you might want to cut them some slack.