The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see this in today's Kansas/OSU game, but a son called to ask me for a ruling.

The ball was being passed a long ways down the floor from A1 to A2, who was beyond B1. The pass was short. B2 backed up to intercept it as A2 sped up the floor towards the ball. For argument's sake, say that, as they collided, each was able to touch the ball.

I am interested from a high school rules perspective. I have in mind, in particular, 4.27.2, which says " . . . Contact which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe . . ."

I understand that there is team control while a live ball is being passed, but the 'or' phrase in the text above, does not state whether or not the condition of 'loose ball' carries over. If it doesn't, and they had equal opportunity to catch the pass . . .

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 07:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who has team control or not is not the issue.

The rule at the college level and NF level are almost identical. So the play you described sounds like it was appropriately called (or not called).

Team control plays no part in whether a foul is called or not.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

If you are unable to to determine which player was at fault by causing the contact, by being in a favorable postion to avoid, then it may well be just an ugly train wreck with neither player guilty and must be ruled as incidental.

And, like Rut said, disregard team control.
mick
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
If you are unable to to determine which player was at fault by causing the contact, by being in a favorable postion to avoid, then it may well be just an ugly train wreck with neither player guilty and must be ruled as incidental.
I would no call this but would ever of you double foul?
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I would no call this but would ever of you double foul?
Snake~eyes,
If both players were at fault and/or if both were in favorable positions to avoid, then, of course, we may easily have a double foul.
mick
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

You better get the car started if you make a double foul call in that situation. . .
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Right. And . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by paxsonref
You better get the car started if you make a double foul call in that situation. . .
1. I agree that control doesn't play a role legally, but I think it's a big influence all the time, the call favoring the team in control.

2. I have never seen a double foul called in that situation, ever, at any level.

As a matter of curiosity, where do you ever see a double foul called except in post play?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar play at a camp. I saw neither player gaining an advantage or placing the other at a disadvantage, so I no called it. Both players are on the floor. I was told that anytime a player hits the floor hard I have to call something.
Still to this day I remember that, still to this day I choose to ignore that comment.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
Had a similar play at a camp. I saw neither player gaining an advantage or placing the other at a disadvantage, so I no called it. Both players are on the floor. I was told that anytime a player hits the floor hard I have to call something.
Still to this day I remember that, still to this day I choose to ignore that comment.

That advice rings in my head often, Dudly.
Right or wrong, I look for a reason to call something, rather than simply disregard the notion.
mick
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I agree. In this play I didn't see no right or wrong. Probably only time this will ever happened to me. 99.9% of the time one of the players is putting the other at a disadvantage. I used to have a quick whistle seeing the play as I thought it would develop. Now I have a slight delay as I evaluate how the play developed.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Right. And . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker

As a matter of curiosity, where do you ever see a double foul called except in post play?
\
Blarge?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly

Good for you.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:18am
Ref Ump Welsch

Unhappy

I get sick and tired of it when coaches (especially at the younger levels) scream for a foul every time a kid ends up on the floor, even if it's because the kid forgot to tie his damn shoes and tripped on the loose lace!!!! I had some coaches yelling foul when kids were tripping over their own foot during a tournament this past weekend. Heck, a kid got floored by his own teammate going for a loose ball and coach was screaming for a foul. Pathetic, eh?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Anyone see that Goal Tending near the end of the game? The ball was on the glass and then it pinned? Fortunately the "C" official called the foul, but the commentators thought the basket should have been counted. Comments?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Anyone see that Goal Tending near the end of the game? The ball was on the glass and then it pinned? Fortunately the "C" official called the foul, but the commentators thought the basket should have been counted. Comments?
"Pinning" the ball is NOT one of the ways to commit GT or BI.