The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't know if anyone will remember this, but a few years back a TV show (I believe America's Funniest Videos) showed a basketball game where a player got on all fours and barked like a dog during a throw in.

I had a team / player do this a couple days ago in a 7th grade tournament. My partner and I called nothing. The play didn't work (meaning they didn't score off of it).

Just curious - would anyone call a technical here? Unsportsmanlike conduct? Or, would you have some other call? Or, just let them play?

Speaking for myself only...I certainly wasn't expecting or ready for it.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nope.

If they are dumb enough to fall for it, then let it go. Unless you get a very specific ruling to penalize this, I would just let it go. It is a clever play that might only work on time a season. Do not go looking for trouble.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I understand... Lets say A1 is throwing it in... Is A1 the one on all fours? Did he lift his leg to pee on someone hah? How'd he avoid the 5 second violation?

Or was it a player waiting to receive the ball or on the court as a distraction? If thats the case I think I may warn them, especially at the 7th grade level. Could be construed as taunting.

I had a defensive player under the offense's basket who decided on a new form of defense: Instead of waving his arms or anything, he began making funny faces. Really goofy ones, like those of a 5 year old. This was a college intermural player. I couldn't help but laugh as it was so ridiculous. I couldn't bring myself to warn him for it and luckily he only did it one time. I'd hate to try to explain a technical foul for making silly faces to my supervisors lol.

Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I don't know if anyone will remember this, but a few years back a TV show (I believe America's Funniest Videos) showed a basketball game where a player got on all fours and barked like a dog during a throw in.

I had a team / player do this a couple days ago in a 7th grade tournament. My partner and I called nothing. The play didn't work (meaning they didn't score off of it).

Just curious - would anyone call a technical here? Unsportsmanlike conduct? Or, would you have some other call? Or, just let them play?

Speaking for myself only...I certainly wasn't expecting or ready for it.

Nu1:

I remember the video, and it was featured on SportsCenter. After considerable thought, if I had been the Lead official, who was also the official that was administering the throw-in, I would have whistled the ball dead and beckoned the team's coach onto the court to administer to his sick and injured players.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

For those who haven't seen it...A1 would be inbounding at A's basket. A5, who is on the opposite side of the floor - away from A1 - drops down and starts barking in hopes of having any or all B players look his way. Then..the inbound...the easy bucket...we go the other way - ideally. Again, it didn't work.

I don't think I could call it taunting. Maybe "inappropriate language" ???

Obviously, from the original question, I did nothing. I did ask my partner, "Should we have called something?" He couldn't think of anything specific either.

I guess it falls into the "Ugly isn't necessarily a foul / violation" category, and we play on.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:49pm
M.A.S.H.

I haven't seen this video -- not sure I want to either. Again, if he avoided the 5 second count and he didn't violate the spot throw-in, there's nothing here. I wonder how the opposing coaches feels about it working on his team? I'll bet they didn't practice that defense move in practice!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

We ran that play last year perfectly in the faculty-student game. Myself and another teacher both played the dogs role and started barking at each other like we were mad. The thing with that play you got to go all our out or don't try it at all.

Easy bucket followed.

--And we won.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:13am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Back when I was coaching, our school for the deaf was hosting the conference tournament (which consisted of 6 schools for the deaf). The night before the games got started, the deaf coaches would get together to play a pick-up game. During the game, I missed a shot (pretty badly I might add), and the other team rebounded and took off for a fast break. One of my teammates did a quick thinking and started waving his hands to get everyone's attention, and the fast break came to a quick halt. Everyone looked at him with puzzled looks and he signaled traveling and asked for the ball back. Ball goes back to him, and guess what? He went for an easy layup. I ended up on the ground laughing because noone travelled and the fast breakers came to a stop and pivoted and everything so the ball stayed live. Oh man that was a good one!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

MTD help please

Mark,
Wasn't this particular play addressed as a sportsmanship POE about a year after it happened. By the way the play occured in Casper Wyoming in a sub varsity game originally. I am about 90% sure that there was a poe that included this type of play, the sportsmanship making a travesty of the game type thing....
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 02:19pm
Administrator

Re: MTD help please

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Mark,
Wasn't this particular play addressed as a sportsmanship POE about a year after it happened. By the way the play occured in Casper Wyoming in a sub varsity game originally. I am about 90% sure that there was a poe that included this type of play, the sportsmanship making a travesty of the game type thing....

CM:

I remember it being a jr. varsity game out west. I am not sure if it was addressed in a POE (I don't feel like going up in the attic today), but I agree that this falls under sportsmanship and making a travesty of the game, and it should be the coach that gets whacked for being an idiot.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:09pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Don't remember where it is but this situation (not specifically) is addressed and it is a technical foul. I believe it is for unsporting behavior. I think it was an example used one year at our rules meeting in Illinois.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

The old barking dog play. I have seen this once in my career and I had to stop myself from laughing. This play is no different than when the players try to deceive the team in going the wrong way. Or when you hear girls yell "ball" twenty times on a possible 5 second count. I would not call anything.