The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Went to a Chicago Public League varsity non conference game last night. A1 went up for a layup and after his attempt hit the backboard, B1 deflected it but the ball still went in. Neither official blew his whistle for a violation. Is this a violation? The ball had already contacted the backboard but was still on its way up. Another possibility was that since the ball went in they held their whistle?
Also at tip off time there was only one ref on the court- needless to say they weren't on the court 15 minutes before the game watching the visitors dunking during warmups. There was no coaches/captains meeting beforehand and one of the officials was very considerably overweight. He had a hard enough time walking let alone even thinking of running up and down the court. He was continually out of position and was really getting it from the fans. Anybody out there from the Chicago area know how the CPL does its assigning? I can't believe an assignor would give a varsity game to someone who may be very rules competent but not physically able to officiate this game. I felt bad for the players and it was uncomfortable listening to the fans continually get on this official. I guess I also can't understand why this official would accept an assignment he knows he isn 't physically able to handle. To make matters worse, the game went ino OT!
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question Goaltending...

I have goaltending here...Ball was contacted after it hit backboard, so ball was on its downward flight and has oppurtunity to enter basket.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Goaltending...

Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
Ball was contacted after it hit backboard, so ball was on its downward flight....
Not necessarily. Just because the ball has hit the glass, it doesn't mean it's on it's downward flight.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

The backboard has NOTHING to do with goaltending.

Goaltending is contacting the ball on it's downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance for the ball to go in. 4-22

Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

i agree...i am saying that b/c it was off a layup attempt so ball was probably on downward flight...is the call here goaltending or basket interference...i think it meets more goaltending criteria...
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i agree...i am saying that b/c it was off a layup attempt so ball was probably on downward flight...is the call here goaltending or basket interference...i think it meets more goaltending criteria...
Get the probably out of your thoughts about this, because unless it's a finger roll or a high dropping shot, on most lay ups the ball is going UP after it contacts the backboard.

Judge it by the ball and the rules and forget about the backboard.

The only time contacting the ball is basket interference is when it's in or on the basket/cylinder, or it's outside but the hand blocks it through the basket.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't even agree with that...many layups that I see are still going up after hitting the board.

Ignore the board altogether...it's not helpful in deciding GT.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Well said....

Ok, gotcha...But then how does this scenario qualify as goaltending as in 4-22...or is it basket interference?...or is it play on? i'm a little confused here...
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well said....

Quote:
Ok, gotcha...But then how does this scenario qualify as goaltending as in 4-22...or is it basket interference?...or is it play on? i'm a little confused here...
It's nothing.

In fact the first post said it was blocked off the backboard on the way UP.

Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

i thought once the ball hits the backboard (even if its on the way up), that it could not be touched? or is that just from watching too much tv?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
or is that just from watching too much tv?
Yup. It is GT in the NBA, but not in NCAA or FED.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 02:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Read the original post again -- it EVEN SAID the ball was still going up when contacted.

It's nothing.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
or is that just from watching too much tv?
Yup. It is GT in the NBA, but not in NCAA or FED.
FROM THE NBA RULES!

. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i thought once the ball hits the backboard (even if its on the way up), that it could not be touched?
Where is that in the rule book?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Once again I have learned something new from this forum! However, regarding goaltending, I seem to like the NBA rule for it -- what about you guys?