The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Had to post this!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18775-had-post.html)

lrpalmer3 Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:40am

I taped the NBA All-Star game and am just now getting around to watching it.

Allen Iverson took SEVEN steps with the ball without a travelling violation being called. It was one of those situations where a players receives the ball and is allowed to settle himself before choosing a pivot foot. I've seen 3 and 4 steps before, but never 7.

If you have the game on tape, it's at the 2:50 mark of the second quarter. It's worth watching.

I'm not suprised that it wasn't called though, there was actually no advantage gained on the play. I wonder if he was jided by his colleagues about it though, it looked rediculous.

And before you all ask, I'm not allowing this is in a HS game.

Adam Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:42am

Nothing is illegal in the all star game. :)

tjones1 Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:55am

Maybe going into the stands! :D

Junker Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:15pm

TBS or TNT (whoever carried the game, I can't stand to watch it anymore) was running an ad that said something to the extent of, "there's a myth that no one plays defense in the NBA all star game....we say who cares." I thought they could just take out all star game and the statement would still be true.

Snake~eyes Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Nothing is illegal in the all star game. :)

TriggerMN Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:42pm

If it's the one play I remember, he was moving to the right on the TV screen, and drove to the post. When he drove past a defender, Iverson went out of view behind the 7-footer for a second. At this time, the ball was slapped out of his hands, and he took 2-3 steps to regain it. Go watch the tape again. You will see not one, but two officials giving the bobble signal. Can't travel without control of the ball, chief.

lrpalmer3 Fri Feb 25, 2005 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
If it's the one play I remember, he was moving to the right on the TV screen, and drove to the post. When he drove past a defender, Iverson went out of view behind the 7-footer for a second. At this time, the ball was slapped out of his hands, and he took 2-3 steps to regain it. Go watch the tape again. You will see not one, but two officials giving the bobble signal. Can't travel without control of the ball, chief.
This is not that play, but I had rewind that one as well to see what the heck happened. In this play, he simply receives a pass while pretty much standing still. He takes all seven steps in place basically because he isn't moving toward the basket or making any head fakes. I really wish I could post some video. This play and the steps he took were of no consequence to the game. Good no call. :)

I still love the NBA. What great athleticism and officiating!!!!

Junker Fri Feb 25, 2005 01:42pm

Trigger watched an NBA game?! You must really be missing hockey. Why waste your time with that when you can probably buy streetball on DVD. Mother nature don't know no love....dawg!

TriggerMN Fri Feb 25, 2005 03:30pm

Hot Sauce Junker-->

My favorite part is when you break your man down off the dribble, bounce it off his head a few times, carry the ball 12 times, travel 13 times, then throw the ball 50 rows up into the stands.

Sincerely,

The Professor

Junker Fri Feb 25, 2005 03:53pm

Ah, now you're reminding me of my high school playing days.