The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   That little black box.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18715-little-black-box.html)

OverAndBack Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:58am

Went to an NBA game tonight and noticed a small black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes on the officials' belts. One had it right in the small of his back, another had it on the left front.

What are they? Seemed like they maybe control the clock late in the game? Or the shot clock? Or something? Anyone know?

Snake~eyes Wed Feb 23, 2005 01:24am

Has a button on it that starts the clock.

JRutledge Wed Feb 23, 2005 02:16am

This is apart of the <b>precision timing system.</b> The device is to start the clock via the officials. There is another device at the scorer's table that works with the system using wireless technology. The little black box that is on the officials is also connected to a little microphone on the end of the lanyard, next to the whistle to stop the clock. Some HS use the system and many college conferences do as well.

Peace

IREFU2 Wed Feb 23, 2005 09:20am

Thing that is retrieved when the plane crashes! Just kidding, its precision time, stops the clock on the blow of the whistle and officials use it to start the clock.

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 23, 2005 01:17pm

It's one of those "first alert" thingies. As soon as Ron Artest throws a punch, the referee pushes a button and it calls the police.

"HELP - I've been punched by Ron Artest and I can't get up!"

tjones1 Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:55pm

Anyone used PTS?

Forksref Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Thing that is retrieved when the plane crashes! Just kidding, its precision time, stops the clock on the blow of the whistle and officials use it to start the clock.

If the black box survives the plane crashes, why don't they make the whole plane out of that material?

dblref Thu Feb 24, 2005 07:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Anyone used PTS?
Used it twice about 3 years ago. One of the local HS was testing it and I did games there. Our whistle stopped the clock, but the clock operator started it on our chop. It would have been neat to have control over stopping and starting it.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 24, 2005 08:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref

If the black box survives the plane crashes, why don't they make the whole plane out of that material?

I've never really understood that joke -- the first possibilities that come to my mind:

1) The box doesn't always "survive" (that is, the data in the box might be lost.

2) It would make the plane too heavy.

3) The metal has different characteristics from aircraft-grade aluminum that make it unsuitable for other parts of the aircraft.

4) It's too expensive.

5) Sometimes it's better for the plane to "break apart" in a crash to absorb some of the energy

JRutledge Thu Feb 24, 2005 09:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Anyone used PTS?
I have used it 3 times. It was interesting. Had to adjust some signal mechanics, but nothing major.

Peace