The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Situation. 3 man. HS VBoys. 4th Qtr. Close game.

I am L in transition. A1 gets the ball deep in the corner. I get wide. A1 fakes a drive and pulls up for a three. I sneak a peak at his feet and the shot is clearly a 3. As A1 is in the air on the shot, I focus on activity underneath. The ball goes in. I look up to verify my p signals the 3, he doesn't. I whistle and stop play to inform my p what I saw. I tell him his feet were definately behind the 3 point arc. He tells me it is his call as the T and since he didn't signal it as a 3, it should count as a 2. He did not change it to a 3.

How should this have been handled?

Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

By the book, it's the T's primary but in transition I always pre-game the L can and should help out. Sounds like he was going to count it as a 2 regardless of your input. Based on your post, even if you had given the 3 attempt, he probably would have over-ruled you. Given the input from the L, I as the T would have changed it to a 3 if I did not have definite view the shooter was on/over the line.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Well I would agree that it is his call (his primary). However, you were in transition. When you two got together, did he tell you that he saw his foot on the line or what was his reasoning for it being a two other than it was his call?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
However, you were in transition.
Where did he say he was in transition?

thumpferee, who was the R?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
Even though its his call if you have definite knowledge that its a 3 then it should be counted as a 3. But as previous posters said, it seems as if your partner was gonna sink or swim with the call regardless of what you saw, so if it was me, let him call it, all you can do is tell him what you saw.

But thats just my Opinion.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I would agree that it is his call (his primary). However, you were in transition. When you two got together, did he tell you that he saw his foot on the line or what was his reasoning for it being a two other than it was his call?
He thought his foot was on the line. He was 30 feet away, I was 3 feet away.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

thumpferee, who was the R?

I was actually the R for this one. He was just crossing half court as the shot went up.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
He thought his foot was on the line. He was 30 feet away, I was 3 feet away.
As far as I'm concerned, if you stopped play to talk to me we're going with the 3. Why get into a pi$$ing match over it -- obviously you had a better look. But I wasn't your trail.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Get the call right. Y'all can talk later about who was looking where. Shouldn't be a big deal either way. The important thing is to get it right, and look professional doing it.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

So much for teamwork. Each of the three is part of a team and if one of the team "helps" the other "get it right" just how big is this guy's ego? Or better yet, how big of a knucklehead is he?

As the R, it's a 3...now for the next question as to why didn't he "trust" you when you said you clearly saw the 3? I think I'd have a nice "visit" with this cat afterwards.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 11:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
First sentence
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
So much for teamwork. Each of the three is part of a team and if one of the team "helps" the other "get it right" just how big is this guy's ego? Or better yet, how big of a knucklehead is he?

As the R, it's a 3...now for the next question as to why didn't he "trust" you when you said you clearly saw the 3? I think I'd have a nice "visit" with this cat afterwards.
"As the R, it's a 3?" You can't overrule on this play. Unfortunately, the T was right. It's his call. In transition on this, I'd have signaled the 3 attempt. Let him tell the gym it was only a two after that if he wants to be an a$$.
Neither official can overrule the other's call.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

I was told that if you did not see a foot on the line, count it as a three. He is saying that he saw nothing, so leave it as a 2? After hearing something like this from my partner, the phrase "Get in. Get done. Get out." takes on new meaning.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

"As the R, it's a 3?" You can't overrule on this play. Unfortunately, the T was right. It's his call. In transition on this, I'd have signaled the 3 attempt. Let him tell the gym it was only a two after that if he wants to be an a$$.
Can't overrule? GET IT RIGHT! One official definitely has knowledge, the other doesn't so you're going with the one who "guessed" over the one who "knew"? Definitely get in, get done, get out...
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Can't overrule? GET IT RIGHT! One official definitely has knowledge, the other doesn't so you're going with the one who "guessed" over the one who "knew"? Definitely get in, get done, get out...
As Snaqs said, right or wrong, you can't overrule your partner's call. The rules wont let you- NFHS rule 2-6. If your partner made the call and he still insists that it's the right one, then your crew is just gonna have to live and die with his call.