The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Solve this one (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18703-solve-one.html)

Grant Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:42pm

Offensive player goes to dunk and misses while holding the rim he reaches back grabs the ball with the other hand and dunks it just as the whislte is going for hanging on the rim.

RookieDude Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Grant
Offensive player goes to dunk and misses while holding the rim he reaches back grabs the ball with the other hand and dunks it just as the whislte is going for hanging on the rim.
T

totalnewbie Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:49pm

How about this:

T for hanging on the rim, the dunk after is irrelevant (though it sure makes your T look good).

No different than a guy lobing up a shot after the play is dead. You dont want them doing it, but it doesnt get another whistle.

Clark

Grant Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:52pm

what about possesson AP

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:52pm

Quote:

Technical foul and offensive basket interference.

totalnewbie Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:53pm

what does that matter? its a T, so you shoot 2 and the opponent gets the ball at the division line opposite. no need to even go to the arrow. am i missing something?

totalnewbie Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:54pm

no need to even get to the offensive BI is there? the T made it a dead ball so the basket couldnt have counted anyway, right?

Adam Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by totalnewbie
no need to even get to the offensive BI is there? the T made it a dead ball so the basket couldnt have counted anyway, right?
Hanging on the rim made the ball dead. I don't care if the whistle blows after he makes the dunk and lands on the floor. No basket. Technical foul. No other call is necessary here.

Grant Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:58pm

but then there is no possession so how do we restart certainly not at center

RookieDude Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:01pm

Quote:

Huh?
In this sitch, NFHS rules, technical foul, you go opposite table at the division line.

cmckenna Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:10pm

Here is something I have always wondered....

If your not supposed to contact the rim while the ball is in contact with the rim, howcome a dunk is legal??? As you can tell, I am bored today....

bob jenkins Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna

If your not supposed to contact the rim while the ball is in contact with the rim, howcome a dunk is legal??? As you can tell, I am bored today....

Because the BI rule alows for a ball to be carried from outside the cylinder to inside the cylinder.

On the original play:

1) T for hanging on the rim
2) T for dunking with a dead ball
3) T on the coach when you call #2. ;)

BoomerSooner Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:42pm

Just to complicate things, but what if he had been hanging to prevent injury and had rebounded and dunked the ball in the previously described manner.

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Just to complicate things, but what if he had been hanging to prevent injury and had rebounded and dunked the ball in the previously described manner.
No T but BI is called. Case book play 10.3.4SitB(a).

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Because the BI rule alows for a ball to be carried from outside the cylinder to inside the cylinder.

On the original play:

I get it. You wanna be MTD Sr. when you grow up. :D

Dan_ref Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

On the original play:

A true MTD wannabe would have had a reference to at least 1 of the following:

- his attic,
- J Dallas Shirley,
- a vacation he took with the family 8 years ago,
- a brief yet passionate youthful daliance that ended all too soon leaving fond memories of an innocent time filled with sunshine and laughter only to resurface in his declining years with a bitter edge made only sharper by alcohol, disappointment and the sadly pathetic realization that he'll never wear that byron collar again.

ChuckElias Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
- a brief yet passionate youthful daliance that ended all too soon
A cone of dalliancity? :confused:

Dan_ref Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

- a brief yet passionate youthful daliance that ended all too soon
A cone of dalliancity? :confused:

A SHAFT of daliancity.

Grant Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:55pm

I guess i should have said NCAA rules how do we restart

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:55pm

Quote:

[/B]

- his attic,
- J Dallas Shirley,
- a brief yet passionate youthful daliance that ended all too soon leaving fond memories of an innocent time filled with sunshine and laughter only to resurface in his declining years with a bitter edge made only sharper by alcohol, disappointment and the sadly pathetic realization that <font color = red>he'll never wear that byron collar again</font>.
[/B][/QUOTE]You mean, he'll never wear that byron color again <b>with</b> his navy-blue culottes, white knee socks and snow-white runners, while riding off into the sunset with his faithful companion, Sancho Preacher, to "T" up disrespectful windmills and slay the mythical Blarge.

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 22, 2005 04:37pm

Aw geeze, Dan. Made me spit on the screen again. lol

Grant Tue Feb 22, 2005 04:47pm

Still no answer to how a restart the game after the T is it AP

tmp44 Tue Feb 22, 2005 05:04pm

Restart after T

Quote:

Still no answer to how a restart the game after the T is it AP
NFHS: If Technical is called on Team A, Team B shoots 2 for the T and inbounds at half-court, opposite the table. Why the confusion regarding if AP is involved?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 22, 2005 05:12pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On the original play:

- his attic,
- J Dallas Shirley,
- a brief yet passionate youthful daliance that ended all too soon leaving fond memories of an innocent time filled with sunshine and laughter only to resurface in his declining years with a bitter edge made only sharper by alcohol, disappointment and the sadly pathetic realization that he'll never wear that byron collar again.

ROFLMAO

totalnewbie Tue Feb 22, 2005 05:51pm

[hey Grant, this is the part where the senior guys descend into little inside jokes back and forth and the question doesnt actually get discussed any more :)

rainmaker Tue Feb 22, 2005 07:56pm

Quote:

[hey Grant, this is the part where the senior guys descend into little inside jokes back and forth and the question doesnt actually get discussed any more :)
Yea, those of us that are above these kinds of insults are below the NCAA level, and can't answer the question.

Adam Tue Feb 22, 2005 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Yea, those of us that are above these kinds of insults are below the NCAA level, and can't answer the question.

Now that's funny!

RefSouthAlb Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Huh?
In this sitch, NFHS rules, technical foul, you go opposite table at the division line.

Too Clarify,

Grant is referring to NCAA rules not NFHS.

As such

Indirect T then point of interruption, In this scenario no possesion so AP.

Forksref Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:55am

Quote:

10-3-4 A player shall not "Grasp either basket..."

This is not the same as contact. In my much younger days I could dunk, but I have to admit, it hurt my wrists. Dunking is not as glamorous as it appears! I used to contact the rim, but not "grasp" it.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:17am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On the original play:

I interpreted the original question to be a "rules" question (a la "stump the ump"), not neccesarily a "how would you really handle this" question.

The NCAA reference is 10-3.12, R2

Daryl H. Long Wed Feb 23, 2005 03:22pm

So the answer to the question...exception does not apply.

NCAA: Rule 10-3-12, A.R. 2; Rule 10-3-13; Rule 10-4 Penalty
1. Indirect T for hanging on the rim.
2. Indirect T for dunking a dead ball.

Penalty: 2 FT's and resume play with AP arrow. (1st T happened while ball in flight after miss of the first dunk attempt therefore status of the ball was not in possession of either team). Rule

FED: Rule 10-3-4: Penalty (all Articles)

1. T for hanging on the rim and dunking a dead ball. Assessed directly to the player.

Comment: FED rules do not split up grasping and dunking into separate Articles as does NCAA therefore I am inclined to only assess 1 T. If otherwise it would require ejection which I believe to be too severe for this case)

Penalty: 2 FT's plus ball for division line throw-in oposite the table.
2 FT's and ball OB at division line opposite the table for the offended team.

ditttoo Wed Feb 23, 2005 04:09pm

Does it make any difference if the dude hangin on the rim is a graduating Senior who was last year's Captain and has been out all season due to an automobile accident and this is the last game and you're in final minute of a 25 point blowout and coach put him in so he could score and break a career scoring record?

canuckrefguy Wed Feb 23, 2005 04:23pm

I'd be interested to hear how people from the "Protect The Star Player" thread answer this one....

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 23, 2005 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ditttoo
Does it make any difference if the dude hangin on the rim is a graduating Senior who was last year's Captain and has been out all season due to an automobile accident and this is the last game and you're in final minute of a 25 point blowout and coach put him in so he could score and break a career scoring record?
Only if he's wearing 00.

Adam Wed Feb 23, 2005 06:41pm

Quote:

Quote:

Only if he's wearing 00.

Assuming the book sayz "0". I'd be more concerned if he was wearing "01." Is the official wearing a belt?

ChiliBob Wed Feb 23, 2005 08:07pm

Had this same call last night. A1 missed his initial dunk attempt, hung on the rim (no players under him), was able to grap the ball and attempt another dunk (missed second also). My partner (as lead but trailing the play on the transition) calls the "T". The crowd goes nuts (called "T" on home team). We shoot and inbount at half court. Play on. At a time out break, a local camera crew (special high school sports program) came over to ask what happened. When I explained he remarked, "guess that one we can't show then". I remarked, maybe you should and have a rules section on the show to make our life a bit easier.

ditttoo Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Quote:

Only if he's wearing 00.

Assuming the book sayz "0". I'd be more concerned if he was wearing "01." Is the official wearing a belt?

No belt as it's sub varsity game. Kid should be allowed multiple attempts cause he's in 8th grade and any 8th grader that can hang on the rim and repeat a dunk attempt should be allowed to.

Seriously though, how many of us put the "zebra press" on the team that's up by 30 (sub varsity) just to send the cute little girl to the line that obviously never gets to play and feel proud of ourselves for doing so...it's only after she shoots air balls that land halfway to the hoop and we've embarrassed her that we feel silly. I'll admit to calling "an official's time out" to tie my shoe or check on an injured player (only to find out the "injured player" had no idea what was happening) just to give a coach the opportunity to substitute his "career bench warmers") at the end of a game...one of the very few things you can do and PROBABLY not get booed - MAYBE!

Daryl H. Long Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:22pm

Dittoo,

Make no difference who the dude is. He could have just as easily just layed the ball in the basket.

Think up all the scenarios you want but my answer is still the same.

BTW: Why should I ignore illegal activity just so the player could "feel good"? It would be a whole lot easier if the scorer would just transfer 2 points from another player so he could break the record. That way the player could still "feel good" about breaking the record and I keep my integrity.