The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

A6 is at the table to sub in near the end of a game. One of the officials reports a foul and beckons A6 onto the floor. The coach then tells A6 no, I want don't want you in now.

Do you force A6 to come into the game or do you allow him to go back to the bench.

I will await some replies then tell you how it was handled.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
IMO once A6 is beckoned he is an official player and the coach has to wait till the next dead ball to replace him.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisianaDave
IMO once A6 is beckoned he is an official player and the coach has to wait till the next dead ball to replace him.
I would never force a player on the court---- once a player leaves the court they will have to wait till the next dead ball to reenter---- wasn't this a NF test question in 2004?

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Dave,
You can replace a player at any time, the only situation that requires the clock to properly start is when someone comes out they can't go back in until the clock properly starts.

As for A6 being a player when beckoned that is part of the touchy situation, but I agree that he is a player.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd let him go back to the bench. There is nothing that says the coach can't immediately sub for him, and you have no idea which player he was supposed to replace.
I see no rule that says a coach can't do this, so I'll allow it.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Just as a hypothetical spin on this, but what about after a time out when A6 has properly reported and the coach forgets he had A6 set to go into the game. Warning horn sounds, no other players can sub into the game at this point and A5 who A6 was set to replace goes to sit down on the bench, however the other 5 players (A6 included) are on the floor. With play almost ready to resume (team B breaking the huddle), the coach realizes who is on the floor and tells A6 he isn't supposed to be in the game. Then do you force him to stay?

The importance of this scenario is that there are times once a player is beckoned into the game that he should stay, but I do think depending on the situation if another player reports in a timely manner A6 from the original situation doesn't have to stay.