The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   thoughts on reporting mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18690-thoughts-reporting-mechanics.html)

footlocker Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:20am

I had an established ref friend of mine watch a game and give me some pointers. Although, all I ever hear in high school is to slow down the reporting (our association is picky about mechanics.); he suggested I speed it up and not make the presentation so slow it looks like I'm trying to draw attention.

I thought about his advise for a while and watched some Division I and NBA games where the officials have greater liberty in what the display mechanically as a foul. (i.e. they hit thier heads, or hit the arm the way it was hit in the play.) So I had some full dress games for our state middle school tournament. As I worked the games, I found that reporting this way left less for the coach to question, a more descriptive and accurate explanation of the foul, and it helped me maintain my focus on the actual plays.

What are other officials thoughts on a more descriptive display of the foul even though it would be off the federation's perscribed mechanics?

Anyone else do this?

Snake~eyes Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by footlocker
I had an established ref friend of mine watch a game and give me some pointers. Although, all I ever hear in high school is to slow down the reporting (our association is picky about mechanics.); he suggested I speed it up and not make the presentation so slow it looks like I'm trying to draw attention.

I thought about his advise for a while and watched some Division I and NBA games where the officials have greater liberty in what the display mechanically as a foul. (i.e. they hit thier heads, or hit the arm the way it was hit in the play.) So I had some full dress games for our state middle school tournament. As I worked the games, I found that reporting this way left less for the coach to question, a more descriptive and accurate explanation of the foul, and it helped me maintain my focus on the actual plays.

What are other officials thoughts on a more descriptive display of the foul even though it would be off the federation's perscribed mechanics?

Anyone else do this?

Feelings around here are that those are College mechanics, we are suppose to use NFHS mechanics. Jog over to the reporting area, freeze, report, go to position.

lrpalmer3 Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:45am

Quote:

I found that reporting this way left less for the coach to question, a more descriptive and accurate explanation of the foul,...
This is true because you are an intelligent person that cares about the game. If NFHS opens the door to "descriptive" mechanics, we will see all sorts of non-descriptive and attention-drawing mechanics in front of the table. I completely understand why there is just a short list approved mechanics.

That being said, I break out the college stuff a couple times a game to help communicate. I try not to "walk and talk", but I've been caught a couple times.

zebraman Tue Feb 22, 2005 09:43am

Quote:

I found that reporting this way left less for the coach to question, a more descriptive and accurate explanation of the foul,...
I just use NFHS mechanics. If the coach questions me, I just have a short conversation with him. Those short conversations, IMHO, are very helpful and the reason that the NFHS changed to having the calling official go tableside in 3-person.

Z

Indy_Ref Tue Feb 22, 2005 09:53am

For NFHS games, "they" want you to blend in! If you want to make it to higher levels, you have to distinguish yourself. You have to decide what you want to do...

If your HS assignor is there, play the "robot"...
If your college assignor is there, play the part!