The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Called my last 3 games of the season tonight. Had a coach have an anuerism over a high dribble that he thought was a carry right before the halftime horn. For some reason, I decided not to let it go and went over to him and explained that a high dribble is not a violation. He was positive it was. I was positive it wasn't. Of course his fans were chiming in with their 2 cents. I had the urge to respond, but didn't. I need a break! Time to say adios, so long, and farewell to the idiot fans who haven't got a clue, and the coaches who aren't much better. Is it just me, or are the jr. high coaches and parents worse than the high school version?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
I totally agree with you Zilla, Jr high and biddy coaches are worse then HS. At least the HS coaches its sorta their profession, where as Jr high and biddy ball its just a parent who has no clue. I know exactly how u feel, no wonder we get burned out at the end of the season, after putting up with idiot fans on a weekly basis.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Question

biddy ball?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzilla
Called my last 3 games of the season tonight. Had a coach have an anuerism over a high dribble that he thought was a carry right before the halftime horn. For some reason, I decided not to let it go and went over to him and explained that a high dribble is not a violation. He was positive it was. I was positive it wasn't. Of course his fans were chiming in with their 2 cents. I had the urge to respond, but didn't. I need a break! Time to say adios, so long, and farewell to the idiot fans who haven't got a clue, and the coaches who aren't much better. Is it just me, or are the jr. high coaches and parents worse than the high school version?
They may be. I know for sure that those games are harder to call because the kids don't have the skills and body control to do what they, the coaches and parents think they can do. And you always have the dilemma of "do I call it or let it go because if I called everything, we'd be here till midnight and if I don't call it the game will deteriorate into a street game and won't even resemble basketball anymore." I deliberately swore off JHS games this year because I don't think I have the patience anymore. I must be getting old.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
Biddy ball is what lil kids play out in Louisian. Basically its elementary kids but we call it biddy ball. They have that rim contraption that lowers it down to I think 8ft, no press, pack it in if one team is up by 15 etc.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Forksref-- I have been sitting here all night thinking the same thing. Why do I call a jr high game? As a ref, you learn absolutely nothing, other than that most of the fans are clueless. The play is sloppy, and as you say, if you call everything, you will be there all night. Our games tonight were at 5,6, and 7 pm. As we are taking the floor for the first game, the AD says..."Kansas and OU tipoff at 8, so keep the clock running!" The coach for one school, who coaches all three grades, says "Yeah, lets get it going and keep it going." So off we go. If we call every violation and foul in the 7th grade girls game, we might still be there. So I find myself in the same situation everytime I do one of those games...if you call it tight everyone is pissed off, if you call it loose, everyone is pissed off. Its a no win situation.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 05:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzilla
Forksref-- I have been sitting here all night thinking the same thing. Why do I call a jr high game?
Why? For the players. T'hell with the fans and any of the coaches who may be idiots(not all of the coaches are; there are some very dedicated, and good, JV coaches). Playing at that level is a learning experience, and we're part of it imo.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Although I subscribe to minimal conversation with fans/parents, look at that fan or coach and let him know that that high dribble was ugly, but you've already checked the rule book and ugly is not a violation (smiling the whole time). If you say it to the fan/parent, make sure about 10 people hear it and they usually will get on that parent themself. Works for me and the games go great once idiot-mouth shuts it up. If that doesn't work, I've heard you should puke on his shoes. ??
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I swear off middle school games every year. But the request comes for open dates- and I fill it out. Usually Wednesday afternoons (church night and have to be done by 6 PM)

The reason I give in each year is that often middle school is either a training ground for new ref's (how I got my start) or for people who want the money and aren't good enough to move up.

The best complement I ever received ref'ing was after a 7th A girls game. The coach told me that I was too good to be doing middle school. I think it was a complement?