The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
How far toward the endline does the bottom lane space extend? In a game I worked on Friday, I noticed that one player was clear down under the backboard. I couldn't think of any indication that this was illegal, so I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking.

I'm also wondering what she thought she was gaining, but that's another subject...
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 07:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
How far toward the endline does the bottom lane space extend? In a game I worked on Friday, I noticed that one player was clear down under the backboard. I couldn't think of any indication that this was illegal, so I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking.

It is illegal, by rule. The bottom lane space ends even with the backboard. There's supposed to be a line on the floor denoting that. See the court diagram at the front of the rulebook.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

It is illegal, by rule. The bottom lane space ends even with the backboard. There's supposed to be a line on the floor denoting that. See the court diagram at the front of the rulebook.
Right. It was a rules change a few years ago.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Change from what? just out of curiosity...
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Change from what? just out of curiosity...
I *think* the the lowest space had no limit -- the player could stand all the way on (right next to) the baseline if s/he wanted to.

Of course, having said that, I also seem to recall the the spaces were (and are) 3' wide, and I don't recall an exception for the lowest space. So, maybe the only change was to require the marking on the floor.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, having said that, I also seem to recall the the spaces were (and are) 3' wide, and I don't recall an exception for the lowest space. So, maybe the only change was to require the marking on the floor.

Correct. All spaces are 3 ft. by 3 ft. They added the mark closest to the end line to make sure no one was abusing that rule.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 03:00pm
M.A.S.H.

Any reason why a player would want to stand right next to the baseline??
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
To get a running start at the rebound, it gives them an angle that would avoid contact with the player in the 2nd spot.

How well it would work is another story.

My question is why do the girls do that tippy-toe thing?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

tippy toe thing?

Now, THAT I am VERY interested to hear, what is the origin of the "tippy toe thing".

I think it may have to do with all these expensive shoes nowadays,...... maybe?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
To get a running start at the rebound, it gives them an angle that would avoid contact with the player in the 2nd spot.

How well it would work is another story.

My question is why do the girls do that tippy-toe thing?
Now that you mention it, you are right. Before this year I had never called girls bb. As mentioned before, I probably have had about 30% of my sched. this year cover girls games. And they do get up on their "tippy toes" in the lane spaces waiting to rebound. You find guys occasionally doing that, but not to the degree I have seen in the girls games. So, what's with it experts?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Somewhere, something screwy happened at the end of a tournament game. A big stink arose and the rule was changed for the next season. I just can't remember exactly what happened. But it was a relatively stupid reason for the change. I rarely see a court that has it marked anymore.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I need a rule explanation on lane spacing, and space occupied.

A1 is shooting a FT. B1 is in the first block. A2 in the second. What can B1 do/not do to impede A2 before the FT is shot?

What I mean is, its pretty common to see B1 and A2 stick their arms out in front of each other. But, I saw a game recently where B1 turned sideways toward A2, and stuck both arms out, in front of A2. It was pretty goofy looking, and probably not very effective. All A2 needed to do was slide behind B1. Weird.

- Catherine Aird