The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I said move! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18638-i-said-move.html)

ChrisSportsFan Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:33pm

Why do the Cheer Leaders consistantly stand in the way on the baseline? I usually tell them that when I come down on their side, they should step back and give me some room and most look at me like it's the first time they ever hear that.

tjones1 Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:59pm

Usually not a problem around here. They always step back whenever an official is on the baseline (or wherever they are). If they don't, I just ask nicely, and there's no problem anymore.

Snake~eyes Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Why do the Cheer Leaders consistantly stand in the way on the baseline? I usually tell them that when I come down on their side, they should step back and give me some room and most look at me like it's the first time they ever hear that.
Just back into them, step on them andscrew up their cheers a couple time and they will learn. If the game is a blowout its always fun to mess with the cheerleaders by backinginto them. ;)

robinson31ir Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
you should accidentality step on one of them....i bet they will move after that!

blindzebra Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:33pm

I usually tell them I runover a cheerleader every season and I have not gotten one yet this year.:D

dblref Sat Feb 19, 2005 08:44pm

I tell them I am a heck of a lot bigger than they are and it won't be me getting hurt.

mick Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:52pm

"I may get some black on your nice white shoes."
mick

chayce Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:52pm

In all seriousness, I ran over a cheerleader three years ago and her crazy mother went to the state police post and filed a criminal assault charge...no kidding. It's funny now but it sure wasn't at the time. Now, no game is played when I'm there unless cheerleaders are at least six feet off of the endline!

whistleone Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54pm

I usually start by asking them to move back a few steps when we come down to that end of the court. If they don't comply, I'll "buzz the tower" for the next few trips and then purposely stand right next to them when I'm good and sweaty. Usually, by the end of the first half, they've figured it out. Worst case scenario, I'll talk to their cheerleading sponsor. They usually listen to them.

BktBallRef Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:08pm

I just tell them to sit down.

They're not allowed to stand here. :)

Junker Sun Feb 20, 2005 08:32pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
[B]Why do the Cheer Leaders consistantly stand in the way on the baseline?

I always thought they just wanted to be close to me.

ditttoo Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:55am

I'm 6'5"and 225lbs. I just tell 'em to scream real loud when I get close so I'll know where they are and can hopefully avoid them; afterall, I'm not watching them, I'm watching the players. The yell should probably help. They seem to back up after that!