The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No foul but here's the T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18592-no-foul-but-heres-t.html)

Dudly Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:38pm

Good game. Both teams hustling and playing defense by moving their feet.

A1 steals the ball fast break to the basket. B1 comes flying in and tries to scare him. He does a good job and A1 misses the basket. A1 can't believe it and looks right at me as says "What the F***, that was a G** D*** foul."

It felt good to look at him and politely tell him "No that wasn't, but this is a T for your behavior." Coach comes unglued on the bench and yanked the player who sat the rest of the night.

So that was my last game for the season. Off to get the knees looked at now and some more Motrin.

IREFU2 Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41pm

Good call, I dont tolerate any profanity.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dudly
A1 steals the ball fast break to the basket. B1 comes flying in and tries to scare him. He does a good job and A1 misses the basket. A1 can't believe it and looks right at me as says "What the F***, that was a G** D*** foul."

Let me ask you something. What would a player have to say to you for you to call a flagrant technical foul?

tjones1 Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:50pm

No doubt a T. But BktBallRef has a good point, should have shown him the door for that comment.

Dudly Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Dudly

Let me ask you something. What would a player have to say to you for you to call a flagrant technical foul?

If they start or end it with "Hey MF...", "you SOB...", "you must be...", etc... Get personal and I have a problem, otherwise they probably needed a spanking or two growing up instead of "time out"

BBR, I know I have a high level of tolerance with coaches and less with players. Explain your thought process here. One of my concerns is that because of my tolerance I am putting officials that follow me later (with that school or coach) at a disadvantage.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:07pm

A player who directs such flagrant profanity at you has already gotten personal. To talk to you in that fashion illustrates that he has no respect for you whatsoever. Also, don't get hung up on the word "you." There's nothing magical about it.

In my state, I don't have to bother with making a decision in this situation. It's an automatic flagrant T and a 2 game suspension, no questions asked. Tough? Yeah, maybe so, but you know what? I've never had a kid yell at me, ""What the F***, that was a G** D*** foul." And I doubt I ever will.

BTW, I realize your state may not have the same policy as mine. But even if that wasn't the NCHSAA policy, I still run him for saying that.

Snake~eyes Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
A player who directs such flagrant profanity at you has already gotten personal. To talk to you in that fashion illustrates that he has no respect for you whatsoever. Also, don't get hung up on the word "you." There's nothing magical about it.

In my state, I don't have to bother with making a decision in this situation. It's an automatic flagrant T and a 2 game suspension, no questions asked. Tough? Yeah, maybe so, but you know what? I've never had a kid yell at me, ""What the F***, that was a G** D*** foul." And I doubt I ever will.

BTW, I realize your state may not have the same policy as mine. But even if that wasn't the NCHSAA policy, I still run him for saying that.

Tony hits this nail on the head.

Dudly Fri Feb 18, 2005 01:54am

Sounds good/logical. I'll work it in where it applies.

Just welcomed 300 Marines home.

Semper Fidelis

Out here.....

BktBallRef Fri Feb 18, 2005 09:15am

Do what you feel is necessary and what is consistent in your area.

BTW, glad they're back safely!

ditttoo Fri Feb 18, 2005 09:56am

Interesting question...guess it depends on the situation and where your "tolerence level" is at the particular time. "MF" or "SOB" would get a definite T and if it was audible enough for the paying public, a flagerant attached.

Had a private religious school GV game the other night and one of the girls reacted with a "oh god!" to my whistle for her slapping at the ball but contacting flesh and bone. As I hustled past her coach to report the transgression I reacted with, "no 'mam I'm not...just a humble referee" and thought nothing of her reaction. The coach, however, although visably chuckling, quickly replaced her with a substitute so she could cool herself down. So I guess it depends....