The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach Crosses the Line? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18531-coach-crosses-line.html)

djskinn Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:08pm

First round conference tournament game. Score tied at 62 each when with 6.3 seconds on the clock when the referee has a foul against Team A in front of Team B’s bench. The referee made the call as the trail official and it was immediately clear Team A’s coach was unhappy. I was lead and saw his clipboard hit the floor out of his box, but no official tagged him.

We let that go and B1 hits the first of a one-and-one. Team A has an opportunity to win at the buzzer and comes up short. Team B wins by one.

We immediately go to the referee’s locker room. We are discussing the game and just starting to change when we hear a key in the lock and Team A’s coach opens the door, steps in, looks at my partner and says “You know you cost my team the game.” Then shuts the door and walks away.

What would you do if anything?

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:10pm

Report it to the conference commissioner, in whatever way they have set up for it. I'd also include his AD. Stand by your partner on this.
Your dressing room needs to be private and off limits, especially to coaches. Just because he has a key doesn't remove that privelege of privacy.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Feb 15th, 2005 at 11:14 PM]

Stat-Man Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:12pm

Can't call a T because the official's jurisdiction ends once an official leaves the confines of the court, but if you don't mind the paperwork, you could send a report to the state association and let them handle it.

rainmaker Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:42am

If you had "tagged" him for the clipboard thing, he'd be less likely to convince anyone that it was your fault he lost.

Snake~eyes Wed Feb 16, 2005 01:01am

I wouldn't have Td him, I certainly would report him to my assignor.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Feb 16, 2005 08:40am

run to his office, grab his stat sheet out of his hand and point out; 18 turnovers, 12 for 19 free throws, allowed opponent 14 offensive boards.

Now Coach, would you like to reconsider what cost your team the game? Then shut the door and walk away. I'd still send the report!

JRutledge Wed Feb 16, 2005 08:53am

Similar stuff has happen in my career.

We can write a report to the state and the state will take action. I have known things like this to get coaches suspended. All people written up have to respond to the state for what they are accused of. If someone at a school is written up, this file goes to the principle and the AD of that school. These reports can help schools get suspended if they do not take appropriate action from the state. So these reports are not taken lightly. An action by a coach like that would probably get him or her suspended.

Peace

eventnyc Wed Feb 16, 2005 09:15am

Similar situation

I had a coach come into our locker room this year. I believe he knocked first although I don't remember. In either case, I don't recall either one of us saying, "c'mon in." He entered the room and approached my partner who was changing. He shook his hand and said nice game. He never looked in my direction, nor did he acknowledge me. He simply sent a message. I sent one right back by reporting the incident to our board's ethics person. He met with the school's AD. Hopefully, the coach got the message loud and clear! We did our part!

BTW during my first post, several members criticized my partner for not saying anything (about the coach being in the locker room). I did not feel that he should have. Why possibly throw fuel on the fire when we could handle it the way we did?

djskinn Wed Feb 16, 2005 09:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
If you had "tagged" him for the clipboard thing, he'd be less likely to convince anyone that it was your fault he lost.
T on the coach would normally have been a no-brainer, but, the coach was reacting to call that possibly should not have been made. Although the call was not in my primary, it looked to me like B1 just stumbled and fell. However, from trail, I could understand where he might have thought contact occurred from A1.

Either way, the game was as close as any ball game I had all season. Both teams matched up well and we had not had any peep what-so-ever out of either coach. I do not think a technical was warranted for that particular situation and neither did either of my partners.