The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   time expired/time outs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18462-time-expired-time-outs.html)

cloverdale Mon Feb 14, 2005 03:18am

a1 gets fouled makes basket and time expires in regulation game. we clear the lane and get a1 ready to shoot b coach who had 2 time outs left wants a time out to ice the shooter...what do you? do grant the time out or shoot the ball?

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 14, 2005 05:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by cloverdale
a1 gets fouled makes basket and time expires in regulation game. we clear the lane and get a1 ready to shoot b coach who had 2 time outs left wants a time out to ice the shooter...what do you? do grant the time out or shoot the ball?
B's request for timeout shall be granted. This free throw is no different than any other free throw during the rest of the game. In fact, the 4th quarter has not ended yet, but will end when it becomes apparant that the free throw is unsuccessful.

David M Mon Feb 14, 2005 06:16am

The timeout should be granted but a second consecutive timeout cannot be granted.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by David M
The timeout should be granted but a second consecutive timeout cannot be granted.
Even the first consecutive timeout cannot be granted.

Rich Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by David M
Even the first consecutive timeout cannot be granted.

However, in this situation, we can allow an advantageous fourth out.

FrankHtown Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:26am

Question: If the outcome of the game will not be decided by the free throws, I was under the impression you did not shoot them?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
Question: If the outcome of the game will not be decided by the free throws, I was under the impression you did not shoot them?
Correct.

tjones1 Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
That's right.

cloverdale Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:36pm

if the shooter would have made the free throw it would have won the game. we allowed the time out, but in hind sight i think we were wrong.he did miss the shot it went into overtime and was won by their team by 3.

ref18 Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:49pm

Quote:

if the shooter would have made the free throw it would have won the game. we allowed the time out, but in hind sight i think we were wrong.he did miss the shot it went into overtime and was won by their team by 3.
You did it correctly.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:51pm

Quote:

You weren't wrong. That's already been said. He can use 1 TO but not the 2nd.

cloverdale Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:12pm

variety of answers

BskBallRef...thanks but there was replys from no shots to allow one but not two...thinking what is the intent or reason to allow one time out and not both of them...i see it as none or all that are availible to the coach...does anyone have rule or case numbers? Thanks again for the replys!

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54pm

After B calls timeout, if A wanted a timeout, we would not award it, correct?

Daryl H. Long Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:58am

See Rule 5-12-3.

See Case 5.12.3 Situation A: This play is exactly as you descrbe.

Case 5.12.3 Situation B applies to similar requests in an overtime period.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 15, 2005 01:06am

Re: variety of answers

Quote:

BskBallRef...thanks but there was replys from no shots to allow one but not two...thinking what is the intent or reason to allow one time out and not both of them...i see it as none or all that are availible to the coach...does anyone have rule or case numbers? Thanks again for the replys!
Consecutive timeouts cannot be granted after time has expired in the 4th qtr or OT and before any OT starts.

5-12-3
Successive time-outs shall not be granted after expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period.

As for the FTs, as long as there's a chance the game can be won or tied, the FTs are shot.