The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

OK with the NCAA season winding up, and March just around the corner I've noticed a few bad habits in my game.

1. I don't put my arm up all the time on an out of bounds.
2. I do the NBA style count and chop with the same arm on a throw in (only sometimes for this one)
3. When not closely guarded I put my arms out.
4. I stopped the preliminary signal when I call a foul, I just verbalize everything with my fist up as I run to the table.

I guess that watching the pros and those at the higher levels can really be a bad influence. Something I see on TV and looks cool might not be appropriate to do at the high school level.

So what other bad habits have you guys developed this year??
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 02:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
OK with the NCAA season winding up, and March just around the corner I've noticed a few bad habits in my game.

2. I do the NBA style count and chop with the same arm on a throw in (only sometimes for this one)
4. I stopped the preliminary signal when I call a foul, I just verbalize everything with my fist up as I run to the table.

I guess that watching the pros and those at the higher levels can really be a bad influence. Something I see on TV and looks cool might not be appropriate to do at the high school level.

I've always been really good at 1 & 4. But I don't really run to the table much, it's more like an NCAAW "walk and talk."
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

I've always been really good at 1 & 4. But I don't really run to the table much, it's more like an NCAAW "walk and talk."
I resemble those remarks (g)

Thanks
David
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I do #1 maybe once a week, or two. It's usually on an OB where it's plainly obvious who's ball it's going to be and the other team makes no effort to run the ball down before it goes OB.

2. I do this sometimes as well, but usually when I'm bored and need something to occupy my mind. For example, I had a (about) 70-30 blowout Friday night. Got the game done in just over an hour.

3. I've used this before when there are many closely-guarded/non-closely-guarded sitch on the same possession that occur right after each other. My rationale is that it may not be seen that I switched arms otherwise.

4. I'm pretty good at this one, although I don't come to a stop anymore... I do the walk and talk.

5. I was reffing a team in men's league that is made up of.... other refs. Some of my friends are on the team. For laughs one game, I used the NBA loose ball foul mechanic. And same game I got flustered in making a PC call, and ended up using the FIBA PC mechanic.

After the way the T was handed out to the Duke player last night, I think I am doing ok. He gave 3 emphatic T signals right at the player while staring him down.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Where I got this, I don't know but I've picked up a bad habit where on held ball situations, instead of the thumbs up I come in with my pointer fingers up. I've tried to break this habit for a couple of weeks and think the only way will be to tape my pointer fingers to me thumbs. ??
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hrm, I don't have any problems with those habits, I have always done those 4 things the correct way. I watch a lot of NCAA/NBA whenever its on TV just to watch the refs but I just don't do that stuff.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's not a habit, but today for some reason, the words "On the floor!" jumped out of my mouth. I was shocked as soon as I said it. "Where the heck did that come from?"

And of course, I was being observed Observer came into the locker room after the game and I beat him to my own critique. He shook my hand and laughed. "You won't do that again, will you?"
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with any of those particular habits. Our association has always trained the newbies "by the book" and still does.

Z
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have what I would call "bad habits." There are some things I might need to work on and do better. I just would not call those bad habits.

I do have some mechanics that are not quite "perfect" but I feel they are not bad habits. They might be more descriptive or are just not necessary to use.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under NCAA, omitting to raise the arm on an out-of-bounds violation is not a mistake.

Take a look at this, at the bottom of page 169 (BR-168).

"It is permissible to omit the stop-the-clock signal on an out-of-bounds violation."
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
Correct me if I'm wrong, but under NCAA, omitting to raise the arm on an out-of-bounds violation is not a mistake.
In the 2004-2005 CCA Men's Basketball Officiating Manual, it gives several mechanics POEs. On page 25, under the heading "Signals", it says "Non-standard signals are not to be used. All officials must use the standard signals listed in this manual when calling violations or fouls. . . Using unauthorized signals, lik a "hit to the head," a tip signal on block [sic] shots, not stopping the clock before signaling direction or over-exaggerated blocking foul signals, are prohibited" (emphasis mine).
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

"It is permissible to omit the stop-the-clock signal on an out-of-bounds violation."
For some reason, I started doing this this year, and had to focus to get back to the correct NFHS mechanic. This was specifically addressed by the state, and they want the stop-the-clock signal given on all oob violations.
I've caught myself saying, "on the floor" once, but that's a product of my partners. As Spok told Kirk when being teased for acting almost human, "prolonged contact is bound to result in some contamination."
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
In the 2004-2005 CCA Men's Basketball Officiating Manual, it gives several mechanics POEs. On page 25, under the heading "Signals", it says "Non-standard signals are not to be used. All officials must use the standard signals listed in this manual when calling violations or fouls. . . Using unauthorized signals, lik a "hit to the head," a tip signal on block [sic] shots, not stopping the clock before signaling direction or over-exaggerated blocking foul signals, are prohibited" (emphasis mine).
You are talking about bad habits some officials developped because they were lazy and/or wanted to show off. But isn't the document I showed you the real NCAA thing? I don't think your quote applies to it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

For some reason, I started doing this this year, and had to focus to get back to the correct NFHS mechanic. This was specifically addressed by the state, and they want the stop-the-clock signal given on all oob violations.
I've caught myself saying, "on the floor" once, but that's a product of my partners. As Spok told Kirk when being teased for acting almost human, "prolonged contact is bound to result in some contamination."
I agree it can get confusing when often moving from some mechanics to some others. I personally try to raise my arm whenever I blow the whistle. That's one less thing to worry about.

But I still think, until otherwise proven, that it's not actually a mistake to omit to raise the arm on an OOB violation (under NCAA).
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"Non-standard signals are not to be used. All officials must use the standard signals listed in this manual when calling violations or fouls. . . Using unauthorized signals, lik a "hit to the head," a tip signal on block [sic] shots, not stopping the clock before signaling direction or over-exaggerated blocking foul signals, are prohibited" (emphasis mine).
You are talking about bad habits some officials developped because they were lazy and/or wanted to show off.
I didn't think that's what I was talking about, but I guess I could be wrong. . .

Quote:
But isn't the document I showed you the real NCAA thing? I don't think your quote applies to it.
Anybody want to help me out with the relationship between NCAA and CCA (Collegiate Commissioners Association)?