The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Something triggered from another thread but figured it may be lost in the shuffle. High school rules.

On a free-throw release, do the players have to wait till the ball hits the rim or backboard? Or is it only the rim?

I haven't seen this happen but good to know... I was under the understanding that the ball HAD to hit the rim or it was a violation on the shooter, i.e. why its not legal for a player to throw the ball off the backboard to themself.

On an extremely rare occassion I guess its possible that the ball could hit the backboard and then rim, would then be a situation which would trigger the allowance of players to enter?

Two questions there haha, thanks in advance
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Players must wait to enter until the ball hits either the rim or backboard (or swishes through the net). However, if the ball hits only the backboard without hitting the rim (and does not go in the basket), it is a violation on the shooter.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

You have two separate situations here. One is when players can move and the other is when there is a violation.

1. Players may move when the ball hits either the backboard or the rim.

2. It is a violation on A1 if the ball does not hit the rim. But that being said, it is not a violation if a member of B rebounds the ball. The think is why take the ball away from B just to give it back to them.

BTW, when I was first taught/coached in playing basketball, late ‘50s, we were instructed to shoot for the box on a free throw.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

BTW, when I was first taught/coached in playing basketball, late ‘50s, we were instructed to shoot for the box on a free throw.
Box? I thought it was a peach basket that you old guys were using way back then. Or so I heard.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

9-1-10 "The restrictions in Art. 6-9 apply until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends."

9-1-3 "He/She shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."

Restrictions end when ball hits backboard, but ball must enter basket or touch ring.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Box? I thought it was a peach basket that you old guys were using way back then. Or so I heard.
Yes. Bounce/bank the ball off the box on the backboard, into the peach basket. And the officials then signified that the score keeper should add one point to the shooter's team score.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:

2. It is a violation on A1 if the ball does not hit the rim. But that being said, it is not a violation if a member of B rebounds the ball.
Huh??????? Where did you get this?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Trail official should make the call if ball does not hit rim not the lead (2 person). It can be really emabarrassing if lead calls ball dead due to violation, and trail knows ball just barely grazed the rim.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2. It is a violation on A1 if the ball does not hit the rim. But that being said, it is not a violation if a member of B rebounds the ball. The think is why take the ball away from B just to give it back to them.
No - you should still call this.

First of all, you want to make the call once the ball drops below the level of the rim.

Second, not calling it could result in putting team A at a disadvantage - especially if there were just a few seconds left in a game.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 06:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

No - you should still call this.

First of all, you want to make the call once the ball drops below the level of the rim.

Second, not calling it could result in putting team A at a disadvantage - especially if there were just a few seconds left in a game.
Third, it's the rule.