The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What did you hear (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18366-what-did-you-hear.html)

Redhouse Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:48pm

I recently had someone in my office ask what is the best thing I have ever heard a fan come up with and what are some of the common things that we hear on a nightly basis. Lets hear some of the good stuff.

I am trying to think of the best I have heard, I will post mine later.

imaref Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:13pm

"Let 'em play!"

"Call it both ways!"

"Three-seconds!" ...."1...2...3..." "C'mon!"

"He/She never touched him/her!"

"He/She was straight up!"

"Hey Ref....look at the foul count!"

Here's one of my favorites..... "You HOMER!"

Geez....how many more do you want? Someone's probably retired with the money on a book of these "one-liners" he/she published.

wl

tjones1 Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:16pm

Come Ref, does your whistle not have a pea?!

This one makes me laugh, cause I just wanna say "Nope, next question." :)

lrpalmer3 Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:17pm

"Stevie Wonder could have seen that foul." I truly LOVE the references to blind people. I chuckle inside every time.

Redhouse Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:23pm

yeh, the blind thing really makes me laugh also.

At the beginning of the season a few years ago, I made a call early in the game and a fan hollered out that I had all off season to study the rules and still didn't know them.

Was the first time I heard that, so I enjoyed.

Where is Padget, he must have some good stuff.

What are some of the new and different things that you hear besides just the normal stuff. I like people to be original if they are going to insult me.

gipper Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:24pm

How about: (fan refering to a near travel)
"Hey ref, one more step and she would have been in the parking lot!"

bigzilla Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:27pm

I've seen better calls from a phone booth.

(to a really heavy ref): Move around, you're tilting the court.

First game, huh?

Junker Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:31pm

There's always a "go back to Footlocker". One of my all time favorites was a coach who told me after a no call, "I haven't seen a block like that since I watched Gallery (as in Nick Gallery, formerly a lineman for Iowa, now with the Raiders) on Saturaday. I took my whistle out and we both laughed at that one.

ChrisSportsFan Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:38pm

I had to laugh at this fan who wanted a 3 seconds call;
"He's been in there his whole life".

I've posted this before but off the tip, fast break for layup, obvious hack foul and a fan says; "call it both ways ref". Looked at the clock and it said 7:57 left in the quarter.

Ref in PA Thu Feb 10, 2005 02:08pm

Fan has been hollering for 3 second call all game. I hear from him "17 ... 18 ... 19"

Since he was in the the first row I respond so he can hear "Dang, you made me lose my count! Now I have to start over."

imkcalls Thu Feb 10, 2005 03:12pm

partner(older man) talking to the cheerleaders at time out, Hay grandpa, if you was michal jackson and they were boys you would be in trouble right now

Adam Thu Feb 10, 2005 03:47pm

"Are you guys looking for a new career?"
My partner was a city prosecutor.

ditttoo Fri Feb 11, 2005 08:53am

Love the Dads watching out for their little girls when you call a foul,

"She didn't mean to", "she's the smallest kid on the court",

Hotlink501 Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:55am

I got a kick out of one fan the other night when I called a double technical foul, "Call it both ways". Had to laugh at that one. When co-official and I met after reporting DF, he told me I needed to quit calling such a one sided game. We both laughed at that one.

TheRefinator Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:07am

Comments

"Hey Zebra, There's a good game going on, too bad you're missing it"

"Hey Ref! Time to go back to the optometrist and get a new prescription"

"My mother took less time to squirt me out than (insert player number here) has been in the paint"

"What's the matter ref. did (insert opposing team or coach here) cut you and this is the only way you can be a part of the team?"