The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How to respond? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18349-how-respond.html)

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:59pm

Okay. I'm just curious if any of you have ever had a coach justify his remarks with, "I was talking to my assistant." Remember, this is YMCA, and this coach has a problem letting officials officiate. I have a hunch I'll see him this weekend.

ref18 Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:01am

Coach, I don't care you you're talking to, but those comments aren't to be made out loud.

tjones1 Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:02am

Doesn't matter to me, if the comments are indirectly towards myself or my partner, saying them to his assistant doesn't make it a safe zone. If you've had enough "Coach those comments aren't acceptable" or "Coach I've heard enough".

[Edited by tjones1 on Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:05 AM]

Adam Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:05am

I know that. I'm looking at him as a personal game management challenge. The first time he said it to me was the first game of his I did; right after he earned his first T from me. The next time he said it was the third game I did for him, at some point between my partner giving him a T and me giving him his 2nd of the game.

JRutledge Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:06am

"Coach, do not say it where I can hear you."

Peace

tjones1 Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:07am

Snaqwells,
Sorry, hit the enter key and it submitted my post on me before I was able to finish! :)

Adam Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Snaqwells,
Sorry, hit the enter key and it submitted my post on me before I was able to finish! :)

No excuses. If I hear your comments, you're responsible. :)

ref18 Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Snaqwells,

I think you've just found the perfect line for this sitch. :cool:

Mind if I borrow it?

Adam Thu Feb 10, 2005 01:03am

Sure, but if you use it in a book, I want royalties.

tjones1 Thu Feb 10, 2005 08:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

Quote:

Snaqwells,

I think you've just found the perfect line for this sitch. :cool:

Mind if I borrow it?

I'll second that.

SamIAm Thu Feb 10, 2005 09:40am

Quote:

Okay. I'm just curious if any of you have ever had a coach justify his remarks with, "I was talking to my assistant." Remember, this is YMCA, and this coach has a problem letting officials officiate. I have a hunch I'll see him this weekend.
This might be a little abrasive but how about this one,
"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the score keeper." after you have T'd the coach. I've not used that and probably wouldn't. But I have said,
"Your problem is not who you are talking to, it is who I think you are talking to. Say what you want, but I'm the one who decides."

Junker Thu Feb 10, 2005 09:42am

Since its a Y league, have you talked to whomever is in charge? If this coach is having that many sportsmanship problems, maybe its time they find someone else to work with his team. I would think that sportsmanship would be #1 to a Y league. Other than that, if he needs a second opinion on whether or not that's a T. Give me a call. I don't have games Sunday and I'd be more than happy to come in and ring him up for the same things you have.

LarryS Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:02am

I also call for the local YMCA. Here they have a policy that the coach must remain seated at all times and they are not allowed to make ANY comments about the officiating to ANYONE in front of the team.

Most of us let the "must remain seated" rule slide a little if it is below the junior high age. However, the "no commenting on the officiating" rule comes in real handy...especially in your 7th game of the day.

I love Snaqwells' line as well. It is a good way to warn the coach and take away an excuse.

ChuckElias Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:06am

I had a coach say that to me once in a lacrosse game. After having his say, I told him I was done talking about the topic. We restart the play in the half of the field that was opposite his bench. He says one more time, "That just terrible" or something like that. Tweet. Conduct foul on the bench.

He says, "I wasn't even talking to you!"

I said, "Coach, if I can hear you from here (20 yards away), it's not like I'm eavesdropping".

Didn't hear from him again that game.

rainmaker Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
This might be a little abrasive but how about this one,
"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the score keeper." after you have T'd the coach.

I like that!! I wouldn't ever say it out loud, but I might think it, which is a good way for me to keep my perspective.