The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Question

I was officiating a game tonight played with NCAA rules. Here's the situation that happened that I would like to get feedback and criticism:

Player A1 is dribbling from his back court towards the front court. Prior to reaching the front court, player B1 reaches in and gets the ball loose from A1. During the scramble by both players for the loose ball (which occurred approximately 3 or 4 feet from the reach in by player B1 and neither team had possession), the 10 second backcourt violation occurs. A held ball then occurs between A1 and B1 after the violation.

According to the NCAA rules (page 130 Case A.R. 16), an official should rule this situation a 10 second violation on team A (rather than go with the held ball that resulted). However, from a common sense standpoint, it seems to me like it would be tough to explain to a coach that his team committed a 10 second violation when neither team had possession of the ball (in this case, team A had team control of the ball). My question is whether I should have went with the book rule and called the violation or should I have gone with the held ball??? To be honest, I didn't realize that case A.R. 16 was in the NCAA rules book until after the incident occurred. I went with the held ball and one of my partners informed me after the game about the violation. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

[Edited by manhong on Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:34 AM]
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

10 sec Violation

My response is based on NFHS rules, however, I believe it is nearly identical to NCAA on this issue.

When the the 10-sec. violation occurred the ball becomes dead. Therefore, the held ball did not occur. This is also the logic you would use to explain your call to the coach. The judgement that will be challenged will be if the held ball occurred before the 10-second violation. It is YOUR JUDGEMENT!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Was B1 also in the backcourt?

Did the ball stay in the backcourt?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

blindzebra, B1 was also in the backcourt and the ball did stay in the backcourt.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
I was officiating a game tonight played with NCAA rules. Here's the situation that happened that I would like to get feedback and criticism:

A held ball then occurs between A1 and B1 after the violation.

According to the NCAA rules (page 130 Case A.R. 16), an official should rule this situation a 10 second violation on team A (rather than go with the held ball that resulted).

However, from a common sense standpoint, it seems to me like it would be tough to explain to a coach that his team committed a 10 second violation when neither team had possession of the ball (in this case, team A had team control of the ball). My question is whether I should have went with the book rule and called the violation or should I have gone with the held ball???

I went with the held ball and one of my partners informed me after the game about the violation. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
[Edited by manhong on Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:34 AM]
No criticism - critique (sounds better).

You state above that the held ball occurred after the violation, therefore, the held ball never occurred (dead ball).

Common sense is not all that common. Both the held ball and the ten second violation are book rules. Apply them in the spirit and intent of the rule - backcourt violation.

Your partner informed you that you incorrectly applied the rule. Once he did that (requested critique or not), continue the conversation and have him fully explain why. Just my $ .02!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

manhong,
10 second violation --> Men
Held ball --> Women

No explanation necessary. The coaches know those rules.

mick