The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 of 3 points? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18311-2-3-points.html)

Adam Tue Feb 08, 2005 07:36pm

10B game tonight. V bringing ball up court, just gets his feet across half court and loses ball back into back court. Ball never crossed on the dribble. H coach asking for backcourt. Ball goes out of bounds, and he asks me why it wasn't a bc violation. Tells me that "2 of 3 points crossed."

"Coach, all three points for a dribbler have to cross."

"I don't think that's the rule."

"Coach, feel free to check the rule book after the game."

"I will."

Me, running down the court, chuckling to myself.

stick Tue Feb 08, 2005 07:45pm

You are right. Body, feet and the ball have to be across half court before an over and back can be called.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 08, 2005 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stick
You are right. Body, feet and the ball have to be across half court before an over and back can be called.
So, those are the three points? Gee, all these years I thought it was two feet and the ball. How do you tell if the "body" is over? :)

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 08, 2005 08:58pm

Good no-call.

You should have made a bet with him. :D

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:34am

Re: Good no-call.

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Gotta admit I was tempted. Ended up having to ring him up anyway, though; for standing up and telling me I needed to help my partner out (partner had just called a foul) after I'd warned him that I'd heard enough.

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2005 01:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

So, those are the three points? Gee, all these years I thought it was two feet and the ball. How do you tell if the "body" is over? :)

That's easy. By the cone of verticality. :)

ChrisSportsFan Wed Feb 09, 2005 08:35am

Re: Re: Good no-call.

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Gotta admit I was tempted. Ended up having to ring him up anyway, though; for standing up and telling me I needed to help my partner out (partner had just called a foul) after I'd warned him that I'd heard enough.

Sounds like you did just fine helping your partner out.

stick Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:21am

Quote:

Quote:

Your technically right--two feet and the ball. If I see two feet & the ball over the line but not the body he belongs in a limbo contest!!

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 09, 2005 04:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is that like the cone of silence?

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:45pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is that like the cone of silence?

In Iowa, we call that a dunce cap.

Wait, is it possible to institute a cone of silence around the table area, to include both benches?

[Edited by Snaqwells on Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:03 AM]

tjones1 Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:56pm

I don't think I could of held it back before I got down the court. I believe it would of be instant as soon as he said it! :) 2 of 3 points... I'll have to remember that one

Adam Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
I don't think I could of held it back before I got down the court. I believe it would of be instant as soon as he said it! :) 2 of 3 points... I'll have to remember that one
That's what happens when some coaches go to rules meetings. They only hear half of it. He also told me after the game that he didn't think we were approachable. :) He was griping from the tip (literally, since I called his jumper for a violation).

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:07am

Quote:

That's what happens when some coaches go to rules meetings. They only hear half of it.

Or in this case, 2/3 of it.