The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like this happens to us everygame. Now my girls have started to try it but I immediatley put a stop to it.

Is it illegal to deliberatley try and distract the free throw shooter during the shot. Many times when a player is getting ready to release the shot, the players lined up will yell SHOT! Now other than being ridiculous, it's not really a big deal. However, sometime they will yell SHOT, slap their hand etc.

Just wondering what the rule was.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by yukonmiller
Seems like this happens to us everygame. Now my girls have started to try it but I immediatley put a stop to it.

Is it illegal to deliberatley try and distract the free throw shooter during the shot. Many times when a player is getting ready to release the shot, the players lined up will yell SHOT! Now other than being ridiculous, it's not really a big deal. However, sometime they will yell SHOT, slap their hand etc.

Just wondering what the rule was.
Disconcertion...violation on the offenders and the shooter get another shot if the shot is missed.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Another case

Saw this happen last week. The defender closest to the shooter was extending her arm toward the shooter, reaching and raising her hand upward just as the FT was being released. Happened all night long. Coach was complaining, and the opposing coach was claiming his player was just getting ready to box out the shooter and was positioning herself to do so during the shot.

Hand didn't really get in the way, but I do suppose it could distract a bit in the shooter's peripheral vision. Bottom line - it wasn't called. Any thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Re: Another case

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Saw this happen last week. The defender closest to the shooter was extending her arm toward the shooter, reaching and raising her hand upward just as the FT was being released. Happened all night long. Coach was complaining, and the opposing coach was claiming his player was just getting ready to box out the shooter and was positioning herself to do so during the shot.

Hand didn't really get in the way, but I do suppose it could distract a bit in the shooter's peripheral vision. Bottom line - it wasn't called. Any thoughts?
Strictly a judgement call on the part of the official responsible for that player on the lane.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

disconcertion from the bench?

4-5 grade boys game. Team A is shooting a FT, at the same time, all of the bench players for Team B are banging their feet against the bleachers, a la cheerleaders do, along with some of the fans in the gym. Obviously the fans are allowed...but is this disconcertion on the bench? I don't have my rule book with me, but I know the rule states that "any opponent shall not disconcert the shooter." Thoughts?

BTW, Team A's coach wanted a bench T for unsportsmanlike conduct. He didn't get anything except me telling Team B's coach to have his kids knock it off due to my understanding of the rule (that being any opponent).
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yukonmiller
Many times when a player is getting ready to release the shot, the players lined up will yell SHOT! Now other than being ridiculous, it's not really a big deal. However, sometime they will yell SHOT, slap their hand etc.
Sounds like a do-over to me, if the shot misses - and even if the shot goes, maybe a warning.

The hands thing is a bit more grey, but yelling in the middle of a FT is a definite no-no. Maybe a T if it persists....

I have to say, though, I've never had players on the lane do this.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: disconcertion from the bench?

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
4-5 grade boys game. Team A is shooting a FT, at the same time, all of the bench players for Team B are banging their feet against the bleachers, a la cheerleaders do...
Doesn't this fall under the category of "artificial noise makers?" I sure hope it does, becuase I've been telling people to knock it off for two years!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:31am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: disconcertion from the bench?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
4-5 grade boys game. Team A is shooting a FT, at the same time, all of the bench players for Team B are banging their feet against the bleachers, a la cheerleaders do...
Doesn't this fall under the category of "artificial noise makers?" I sure hope it does, becuase I've been telling people to knock it off for two years!
Nope, it falls under disconcertion. You can call the bench for disconcertion, by rule. If the disconcertion is deemed persistent or unsporting, you can give the bench a "T" also. That one would be a team technical.

From a POE back around 2001-02.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
I would hide my head as an official if I ever called a team T on the bench for 4-5 graders kicking the bleachers. Heck, maybe they just didn't want to eat their green beans!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: disconcertion from the bench?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
If the bench is doing it, just hold your fist straight out and if shooter misses, he gets another try. Make sure they understand that as long as they make noise, the shooter keeps shooting til he makes it. In a 4th/5th grade game, the most important thing is that the clock is moving. If it's a stopped clock, then you ground them from PS2 for 3 days. I know that will make em stop.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Official
I would hide my head as an official if I ever called a team T on the bench for 4-5 graders kicking the bleachers. Heck, maybe they just didn't want to eat their green beans!
I would hide my head in shame as an official if I ever let 4th. and 5th. graders, and their coach, get away with such a blatant display of poor sportsmanship without doing something about it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by PA Official
I would hide my head in shame as an official if I ever let 4th. and 5th. graders, and their coach, get away with such a blatant display of poor sportsmanship without doing something about it.
Hide your head like an ostrich or like a Taliban woman????
I agree, they can't get away with that bush league stuff but maybe a quich talk with the coach will stop it. I'm sure this volunteer parent doesn't know it's a rule.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I find that using my whistle is almost always more effective than talking to a coach when I want to discourage a players actions. That also eliminates the chance for a coach to try to change the subject to something the other team is doing or a previous play.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
I find that using my whistle is almost always more effective than talking to a coach when I want to discourage a players actions. That also eliminates the chance for a coach to try to change the subject to something the other team is doing or a previous play.
Do you swing it like a lifeguard and tell him you'll smack him with it? It doesn't matter if you toot your whistle or not, you still gotta communicate.

coach to SamIAM: could you explain that call?
SamIAm to coach: tweet.
coach to SamIAM: how many timeouts do I have left?
SamIAm to coach: tweet, tweeeeeeet, tweeeeeeet.
coach to SamIAM: why do you blow your whistle instead of talking?
SamIAm to coach: tweet.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
The hands thing is a bit more grey...
The situation described (raising hand as FT shooter is about to release) is covered in the NCAA rulebook:

A.R. 2. The ball is at the disposal of free-thrower A1. B1, within the visual field of A1, (a) raises the arms above the head, or (b) after the arms have been extended above the head, alternately opens and closes both hands. RULING: When the official judges the act in either (a) or (b) to be disconcerting, the official shall assess a penalty. The burden not to disconcert shall be that of the free-throwerÂ’s opponents.