The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

My partner brought up the following situation in our pregame this afternoon:

A1 attempts to dunk but finds himself too far under the basket. He goes up and pins the ball against the bottom of the rim. The ball never leaves A1’s hand. A1 returns to the floor with the ball. Has A1 traveled?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JB

A1 attempts to dunk but finds himself too far under the basket. He goes up and pins the ball against the bottom of the rim. The ball never leaves A1’s hand. A1 returns to the floor with the ball. Has A1 Travel">traveled?
I would say No. Legal shot attempt.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
Originally posted by JB

A1 attempts to dunk but finds himself too far under the basket. He goes up and pins the ball against the bottom of the rim. The ball never leaves A1’s hand. A1 returns to the floor with the ball. Has A1 Travel">traveled?
I would say No. Legal shot attempt.
Don't think so... Shot (Sec 40) defined as " when the ball is clearly in flight..." so it was not a shot?!

I'd call a travel if ball never left hands
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Tweet! One arm over the other in a circular motion.... I have a travel. The ball never left his hands.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

4-16 says attempting to dunk, I also find it difficult to believe that the player NEVER lost the ball even slightly during the failed attempt.

This IS NOT a travel, it's a try on goal and a rebound.

Now if they repossess the ball and then FALL to the ground, then you have a travel.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

He's walking, yes indeed...
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

4-40-2, A try for FG is an attempt by a player to score 2 or 3 points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for a goal when they have the ball and IN THE OFFICIAL'S JUDGMENT is throwing or ATTEMPTING to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

And so can the rim.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 03:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
4-40-2, A try for FG is an attempt by a player to score 2 or 3 points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for a goal when they have the ball and IN THE OFFICIAL'S JUDGMENT is throwing or ATTEMPTING to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

And so can the rim.
Agree.

Does the rim get credited with a "block" in the stats though?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I had a player do this earlier this season only instead of stuffing himself on the bottom of the ring, he did it on the bottom of the backboard.
My partner called a travel and after doing some reflecting, I happen to agree with the call.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I had a player do this earlier this season only instead of stuffing himself on the bottom of the ring, he did it on the bottom of the backboard.
My partner called a travel and after doing some reflecting, I happen to agree with the call.
What was the player doing when he stuffed it into the backboard?

The key is was it a shot attempt?

Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 40 SHOOTING, TRY, TAP
ART. 1 . . . The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.
ART. 2 . . . A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

ART. 3 . . . The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.
ART. 4 . . . The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead.
ART. 5 . . . A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player's hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

I'm Stumped. Whats the answer?

Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
He's walking, yes indeed...
C'mon now, you're too young to have even heard of Fats Domino. Or know what a Fats Domino is.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
SECTION 40 SHOOTING, TRY, TAP
ART. 1 . . . The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.
ART. 2 . . . A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

ART. 3 . . . The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.
ART. 4 . . . The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead.
ART. 5 . . . A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player's hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

I'm Stumped. Whats the answer?

I have seen this type of play several times both in person and on TV and I can't think of a single time where the player maintained CONTINUOUS control of the ball, even when two hands were used, the ball moves in the hand(s) after the ball hits the rim.