The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Get a Hand in His Face ! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18250-get-hand-his-face.html)

carldog Sun Feb 06, 2005 01:06pm

"Art. 3. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes."

I have watched a LOT of basketball this season and have yet to see this T called on a defender playing the shooter.

Anyone made this call this year?

brandan89 Sun Feb 06, 2005 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by carldog
"Art. 3. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes."

I have watched a LOT of basketball this season and have yet to see this T called on a defender playing the shooter.

I havent called it, but I have seen it called. I was talking to a coah the other day (my schools coach) and he said he didnt know that this was a T, when he was growing up, he said when he was in school thats what he was taught. Idk

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 06, 2005 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by carldog

Carl, it ain't usually a "T" if you do it to the shooter. The POE explained that challenging a shooter with a hand in the face is legal and acceptable, and <b>not</b> a "T".

Ref Daddy Sun Feb 06, 2005 02:01pm

I called it once - had a partner that described calling it once.

My story - rough lower level (G-7) game. Unskilled players.
Ball coming down court slowly and forward defender was not interested in positional guarding but obviously putting both hands in face of her opponent and followed her under the basket doing the same. Could care less where she was heading just blocked vision . Easy call.

Partner few weeks ago described a team that would "poke at the eyes" of outside shooters to make them blink.
T all the way.

blindzebra Sun Feb 06, 2005 02:39pm

It is not illegal to get a hand up when fronting the post or on vertical plays, UNLESS the hand is put directly infront of the opponent's eyes, rule book POE-4-A in the back of the book.

BktBallRef Sun Feb 06, 2005 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
... UNLESS the hand is put directly infront of the opponent's eyes, rule book POE-4-A in the back of the book.
I had this in a girl's game earlier this year. Visitor's had a 6'2" girl. Home team was double and triple teaming her in the low post, before she ever got the ball. One particular guard kept putting her hands directly in front of the big girl's eyes. I saw her do it twice. At the first dead ball, I went to the coach and warned her that it was against the rules and the next occurrence would result in a T. She burned a TO and took care of it.

SF Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:13pm

I called it earlier this year. One player was shielding his oppenent vision, then decided to fake poking him in the eyes. His coach jumps up and yells "I told you to stop doing that!"

Mark Dexter Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:20pm

Partner called it in a game Thursday night. Good call.

Adam Mon Feb 07, 2005 01:06am

6th grade girls YMCA. I stopped the game and warned everyone in the gym.

keithb Mon Feb 07, 2005 01:14am

There is also the defender who slaps his hands together just in front of the face of the player about to release the shot. Usually a warning is enough to stop this but I have had to T up a player on occasion for doing this.