The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bet you havn't had this problem (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18182-bet-you-havnt-had-problem.html)

Ed Maeder Thu Feb 03, 2005 04:57pm

Just got an E Mail from the AD at the school where I am supposed to be driving a three crew to this weekend. He suggests that we call before we leave (4.5 hour drive). He says the visiting team may not be able to travel because of a school policy. They are not able to travel if the temperature is below -40. We don't have much snow but how would you like 40 below?

Smitty Thu Feb 03, 2005 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Just got an E Mail from the AD at the school where I am supposed to be driving a three crew to this weekend. He suggests that we call before we leave (4.5 hour drive). He says the visiting team may not be able to travel because of a school policy. They are not able to travel if the temperature is below -40. We don't have much snow but how would you like 40 below?
Thanking my lucky stars right now that I'm not in Alaska...

LarryS Thu Feb 03, 2005 05:01pm

Sunny and 55 (ABOVE) here.

Can't see myself getting out of the house when it is that cold...much less driving 4.5 hours to call a basketball game. Guess it's good I live in the South :D

rainmaker Thu Feb 03, 2005 05:08pm

Quote:

"It was so cold that the words froze in the air when we spoke them, and we had to put them in the frying pan before we knew what we were talking about." Paul Bunyan Stories

Adam Thu Feb 03, 2005 05:23pm

Sunny and 56. And I'm not even in the south. February is starting off just peachy, thanks.

SF Thu Feb 03, 2005 05:27pm

I noticed that you umpire softball. What are the temperatures like in the summer?

South GA BBall Ref Thu Feb 03, 2005 06:36pm

Talking about a road trip. Whew! 4.5 hours in a long way for a HS game.

LepTalBldgs Thu Feb 03, 2005 06:39pm

Road trip!

Sounds like Anchorage to Homer. It's a pretty drive, just a long one for a basketball game.

Dudly Thu Feb 03, 2005 07:01pm

Quote:

Ed,
Spent some time in Kotzebue, Noorvik, and some of the other villages out there. Loved the country.

oc Thu Feb 03, 2005 07:16pm

Quote:

What level is this? I can't imagine ever travelling that far for a game unless it was college.

Smitty Thu Feb 03, 2005 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
Quote:

What level is this? I can't imagine ever travelling that far for a game unless it was college.

Well it is Alaska after all. Your next door neighbor is probably a good 2 hour drive. :)

SeahawkSanders Thu Feb 03, 2005 08:11pm

Re: Maybe it's just me

Wow. I thought my 3-hour round trip game was bad. That's unbelievable! Do they pay you for travel?

rgaudreau Thu Feb 03, 2005 08:18pm

We have a school Board policy that if the weather is at -37 (celcius), schools are open but bus transporation is cancelled.
They don't want kids waiting for a bus on a street corner at that temperature.
Also, I'm told that the diesel fuel used by the buses gels at -37 and can no longer be burned by the engine. Not a mechanic so I really have no clue if that's true or not.

Ren

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35pm

Quote:

temperature is below -40
Celsius or Fahrenheit?

JCurrie Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:52pm

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Celsius or Fahrenheit?
Kelvin