The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

In our association meeting last night, our commissioner started talking about the fact that some officials find working certain level games is beneath them. He calmly said that anyone who doesn't want to work any 1A girls games, or 1A/2A varsity games or any particular level games should just please let him know. He then said he would not only excuse them from those lower level games, but also cancel the rest of their season's games.

Moral of the story, he says, is that every game is the most important game of the season to those kids playing in that game. No game is beneath anyone.

I loved it.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:33pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I personally refuse to work Freshamn girls games. I do so not because I think the games are beneath me, but because I get nothing from an officiating stand point out of it. I find myself loosing interest becasue the basketball is so bad, I find myself slipping into bad habits, but most of all it isn't the right challenge for me. Don't get me wrong, it is definately a challenge to officiate those games, it just isn't the challenge I am looking for. As far as varsity goes, I don't care if it is 5A or 1A, I'm doing the game (boys or girls).
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I know every association and area of the country is different. But the biggest benefit of "forcing" everyone to work all levels is that it helps to avoid the clique factor, where there is a huge divide between the have's and the have-nots. Whare the have's are the big game only officials and the have-nots are the officials who want to be big game officials. I've worked in associations where that divide is pretty big and there tends to be a lot more dissention in the ranks than here in this association where you still have big game officials, but you might get to work with them and actually get to know them at a freshman game. People are less likely to form judgements, I think. I'm still new to this association so maybe I'm just still naive as well.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Since most of the "big game" officials do not have the time (or the interest in some cases) to take part in a mentor program or go watch newer officials work, the benefit I see in having them work any game is the knowledge and advice they may impart on their partner (or the example of how to handle yourself and game situations).

That can be more valuable to the game in the long term than beneficial to the teams involved in the short term.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

We have all levels work with all levels. Since we don't have the availability for our crew chiefs/board members to go out and just evaluate, it is a good opportunity for them to see the up and comers and/or the down and goners.

Also - I think it is a great challenge for me because there are casebook sitches that come up in almost every girls frosh game I have ever done.(boys too)

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I know every association and area of the country is different. But the biggest benefit of "forcing" everyone to work all levels is that it helps to avoid the clique factor, where there is a huge divide between the have's and the have-nots. Whare the have's are the big game only officials and the have-nots are the officials who want to be big game officials. I've worked in associations where that divide is pretty big and there tends to be a lot more dissention in the ranks than here in this association where you still have big game officials, but you might get to work with them and actually get to know them at a freshman game. People are less likely to form judgements, I think. I'm still new to this association so maybe I'm just still naive as well.
Smitty's right about this association. You don't "pay your dues" and then "rise to the top." My second year, when I was still extremely green (translate: really terrible), I worked a freshman girls game with one of the top female officials in this state who was even at that time working D2 games, and had done several state tournaments. She was helpful, encouraging and warm to me, and gave the game her best. Since that time, I've seen her working ms games, low-level and very low quality games, and the best D2 games, as well. She is definitely an example for all of us. She has helped me get from really terrible, to not too bad, and when I need help to get to pretty good, she'll do that too. Every association should be run this way.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Personally I think freshman girls games are the hardest to work. Now, the doesn't mean I like them. I do appreciate the fact that in my association, several of the veteran officials will work lower level games. It gives you the chance to get to know people and to learn from the people that know it best.

I remember reading a quote from Joe Forte saying something about every game being the most important in the world to the kids who are playing, and that we should take them just as seriously. I think that's a great idea.

Sara
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Smitty's right about this association. You don't "pay your dues" and then "rise to the top." My second year, when I was still extremely green (translate: really terrible), I worked a freshman girls game with one of the top female officials in this state who was even at that time working D2 games, and had done several state tournaments. She was helpful, encouraging and warm to me, and gave the game her best. Since that time, I've seen her working ms games, low-level and very low quality games, and the best D2 games, as well. She is definitely an example for all of us. She has helped me get from really terrible, to not too bad, and when I need help to get to pretty good, she'll do that too. Every association should be run this way. [/B]
I have some problem with working lower level games such as middle school and then making the transition to D2 and Junior College. I'm not sure you can work a middle school game on Thursday night, a high school game on Friday night and a D2 game on Saturday night and do any of them justice. I feel that the lower level games (talking JH and JV) are for the younger guys trying to get games and/or the guys that don't aspire to move up. I never feel like I am too good for the game, I worked very hard to call the best game I could in the two ms games I worked this year.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

I like the idea that no game is below a good official. I give a little bit of credence to the idea that switching levels confuses an official for a little bit - but not terribly. A good official can do a good job at any level.

My association seems to be working the other direction this year... no game seems to be above any official. My assigner/comissioner is giving our top games to officials that are brand new to the varsity ranks. My schedule was okay but this tactic of assigning veritable rookies to high level games is scary.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In our association meeting last night, our commissioner started talking about the fact that some officials find working certain level games is beneath them. He calmly said that anyone who doesn't want to work any 1A girls games, or 1A/2A varsity games or any particular level games should just please let him know. He then said he would not only excuse them from those lower level games, but also cancel the rest of their season's games.

Moral of the story, he says, is that every game is the most important game of the season to those kids playing in that game. No game is beneath anyone.

I loved it.
I didn't happen to be there last night...I took my wife and kids out to dinner.

However, there is more than one way to take such a statement (and I don't know what he really intended).

A lot of people overestimate their abillity relative to that of others. An article that I read a few years ago revealed that 80% of the people surveyed felt that their abilties were above average. Basically, at least 30% of the people are simply not as good as they think they are.

There are too many people that think they should be working varsity games that simply are not that good. Those people haven't taken a good look at their own game to see what's missing or how goofy they are on the floor. Many of those same people are the ones that backstab and belittle their perrs in an attempt to push themselves higher by pulling them down rather than working harder to make themselves better. I've actually heard statements from guys that think they should be getting a varisty schedule when they can't even do a very good job on a JV game.

In my earlier years, I thought I should have been working higher games. I didn't get all disgruntled about it but just kept working on my game and kept getting better and better games eventually came. As time went on, I also realized that there were a lot of good officials out there that were better than me and that I just hadn't seen them. I learned that I shouldn't expect to take someone elses games unless I was better...not only just as good.

Also, many are not realistic about the numbers. Only about 25% of the games we do are varsity games, another 25% are JV with 15% Freshman, and 35% middle school. Someone that is not in the top quarter of the association will not get many (if any) varsity games at any level. Someone not in the top 50% is probably getting no varsity game and just a few JV games. Less than 8% of the games are 4A boys vasity and less than 8% are 4A girls varsity.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it could be a test. For example, earlier this season, an assignor called me with some lower level games which I gladly accepted. Before we hung up, he also handed me some really good high level V games. Which I also gladly accepted. As many have said, whatever game I'm on that night is the most important game for me to call.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

There is some truth to the fact that it is difficult to adjust from really bad basketball to good. I also agree that its good for the officiating community to get some of the better officials down working lower level games. Even if they are not formally "mentoring" the other official, the other official can pick up a lot just by being on the same court with the better officials. When you have the division between V and lower level officials, the lower level guys do not get the instruction they need and often pick up bad habits from other officials.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I loved it.
I think it's great that your commissioner said that. All the players deserve quality refs. I don't think it's hard to adjust to different levels of play.. it just requires a little mental preparation. I did a boys 4A V game Tuesday. Tonight I have to do a doubleheader with the girls Frosh (2-person) followed by the girls varsity (3-person). What's the big deal?

Z
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Different Levels

As far as working different levels on different nights, if one cannot differentiate between them, one was probably not doing any of them justice in the first place.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, once you land a varsity schedule, most of the guys will not do any freshman or reserve ball at all. A lot still do some rec ball (3 or 4 kids games on a Saturday morning for example). For me, I dont like to work rec because I get bored and lazy and fall into bad habits. So I focus only on high school.

As there are plenty of guys that work rec ball as well as freshman and JV in my area, the philosophy of you have to work all levels is not prevalent at all.