The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146267,00.html

Contents of the link here:

PRATTVILLE, Ala. — A fight involving dozens of fans at a Prattville and Stanhope Elmore high school girls basketball game forced police to fire Tasers to stop it and clear the gym. The game was canceled.

Witnesses said the melee, apparently sparked by an earlier dispute between students of the two rival schools, began in an upper deck and spilled onto the floor.

"There were chairs being thrown and people running all over the place," said Stan Davis, a Prattville man watching the game Tuesday night. "I grabbed my 8-year-old daughter and we just tried to stay out of the way."

District Attorney Randall Houston (search) said Thursday that arrest warrants were issued for three adults and six juveniles, including three teen-agers taken into custody Tuesday night on misdemeanor charges. Others were still to be served. Houston said more serious assault charges were involved in some cases.

Police Chief Alfred Wadsworth said Wednesday investigators were still gathering evidence, including from the game videotape.

The chief said some fight participants were hit with Tasers, which can incapacitate a person with an electrical jolt.

He said there was an altercation between students at the two schools at a Prattville fast-food restaurant last week. Prattville (search) and Stanhope Elmore (search), in Millbrook, are high school sports rivals in neighboring Autauga and Elmore counties.

"Apparently the same two groups met up at the basketball game tonight, and the altercation continued," Wadsworth said.

About two hours after the melee, Prattville cheerleader Cherish Cartee told the Montgomery Advertiser she was "still shaking."

"People were screaming and running. Girls lost their cell phones. Keys got lost," she said. "It's something I will never forget."

"Initially, there were 30, then it started spreading like cockroaches," said Joanne Heningburg, who has two children on Prattville teams. She said more than 100 were involved eventually. "There was no control, no control at all."
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

cockroaches

I particularly enjoyed the cockroaches reference.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:08pm
M.A.S.H.

I wonder if anything will come out of this one.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

security

Girls lost their cell phones. Keys got lost

I thought that this is what we have security for. Can you imagine the looks on those girls faces that could not find those darn phones. Poor little things.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: cockroaches

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I particularly enjoyed the cockroaches reference.
Cockroach references coming out of Alabama??? Who'd have thunk....
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: security

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
Girls lost their cell phones. Keys got lost

I thought that this is what we have security for. Can you imagine the looks on those girls faces that could not find those darn phones. Poor little things.
This was my thought also. Devastating. Somebody is gonna get sued if they don't get their phones back. How will life go on??? "I can't drive because I don't have my keys and I can't burn up my parent's mobile minutes because I lost my phone. Duh!"