The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last second "T" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18107-last-second-t.html)

bigzilla Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:25pm

This happened at a Div 2 game here last week.

Visiting team down 2. Shoot and hit a 3, which stops clock with .4 on the clock. Visiting team bench, apparently not thinking, rush onto court in celebration, which prevents home team from immediately inbounding.

Ref hits em with a T. Only make one of the two, game goes into overtime, home team ends up winning.

Some said the T with a no brainer, had to be called. Others say could've blown it dead, put em back on bench, then inbounded. Of course, this would let the defense set up, etc. Comments?

bigzilla Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:28pm

Except I accidentally reversed the home and away. The home team was behind and hit the three and rushed the court. The visitor team hit only one FT and won in overtime, not that it really matters as to whether the call was right, or thoughts on how it could've been handled.

Adam Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:29pm

For my $.02, good call. Sometimes they leave you no choice.

tmp44 Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:30pm

This is a case of extreme disadvantage...have to T. I don't care how much time is left on the clock...anyone see the highlights of that DIII game last night where the kid hit a 90-footer w/ 0.6 seconds to win after a missed FT?

blindzebra Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tmp44
This is a case of extreme disadvantage...have to T. I don't care how much time is left on the clock...anyone see the highlights of that DIII game last night where the kid hit a 90-footer w/ 0.6 seconds to win after a missed FT?
You mean the one that was play 9, 7, 5, 3, and 1 in the ESPN top 10?

Nope, I missed it.:D

LepTalBldgs Tue Feb 01, 2005 04:59pm

This happened to UCLA v AZ this year

In mid-Janaury, UCLA and Arizona in a tight game, back and forth. Tie score, Arizona's Stoudamire hits an NBA three with 1.2 seconds to go in the game. Arizona bench goes crazy and two players rush the court, coming all the way to center court to mob Stoudamire.

Officials call the T and explain it to both coaches. It was replayed several times on TV and the announcers actually commented on it correctly.

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 01, 2005 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bigzilla
This happened at a Div 2 game here last week.

Visiting team down 2. Shoot and hit a 3, which stops clock with .4 on the clock. Visiting team bench, apparently not thinking, rush onto court in celebration, which prevents home team from immediately inbounding.

Ref hits em with a T. Only make one of the two, game goes into overtime, home team ends up winning.

Some said the T with a no brainer, had to be called. Others say could've blown it dead, put em back on bench, then inbounded. Of course, this would let the defense set up, etc. Comments?

This is an easy call. It's a T. This behavoir has to be discouraged and penalized when it happens.

robinson31ir Tue Feb 01, 2005 06:07pm

YES!!!! i saw that guy hit the 90 footer!!!! that was crazy!
it looked good the whole way too

cmathews Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by robinson31ir
YES!!!! i saw that guy hit the 90 footer!!!! that was crazy!
it looked good the whole way too

oddly enough because it was good all the way :D I didn't have a good look at it, but I am pretty sure it didn't change direction mid way :D sorry couldn't resist being a wise @ss

rulesmaven Fri Feb 04, 2005 02:02pm

This actually happened in another division 1 game a few years back. Visiting team (Connecticut) up by 4 with about 7 seconds left. Home team (Miami) makes a layup, then steals inbounds pass and then hits a 3 to go up 1 with 1.2 seconds left, no timeouts. Visiting team's guard (Taliek Brown) takes the ball to inbounds under the hoop as Miami players rush the court from the bench. Rather than try the inbounds, Brown inbounds the ball on a bounce pass toward the Maimi players who are on the court, presumably to draw attention to the fact that they are interfering with his inbounds. Not clear from camera, but it looks like ball rolls out of bounds perhaps hitting a player.

No call. Ball returned to Brown under basket, court cleared, 1.2 restored on the clock, and he gets another inbounds. Catch and shoot misses and game ends.

Watched it live. Always thought it was an interesting way to handle, and was reminded of it recently during the Arizona game.

Mark Dexter Sun Feb 06, 2005 05:30pm

Wasn't a D-I game, but I had a dumb end-of-game T last week that could have changed the outcome of the game.

First, I should explain that this is a co-ed intramural game, so good shots by women are worth one more point (3 for a normal basket, 4 for behind 19'9").

A1 hits a free throw to go up by 5 with 1.0 seconds on the clock. Team B calls a timeout, and as we're coming out of the timeout, A2 jumps up, grabs the rim, and pulls himself up. With the close score of the game and the fact that team B was primarily refs, I had no choice but to call the T. (Sad part is - A2 used to play D-I ball - he knows better!)

B hits one of the FT's, gets the ball back, and a girl misses a 4pt shot at the buzzer. Just a dumb play by A2.

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 06, 2005 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

First, I should explain that this is a co-ed intramural game, so good shots by women are worth one more point (3 for a normal basket, 4 for behind 19'9").

Whaaaaat????

Wimmen get 4-point baskets? Whatinthell ever happened to the <b><i>equality</b></i> stuff that they wanted?

Lah me, folks. If Aimee Semple McPherson was alive today, she'd roll over in her grave!

The apocalypse is nigh!

Mark Dexter Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Whaaaaat????

Wimmen get 4-point baskets? Whatinthell ever happened to the <b><i>equality</b></i> stuff that they wanted?

Lah me, folks. If Aimee Semple McPherson was alive today, she'd roll over in her grave!

The apocalypse is nigh!

I really shouldn't tell you our flag football rule, then. :p