The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Things I have learned (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17959-things-i-have-learned.html)

CentralINRef Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:31am

Just thinking tonight on the way home from my game some of the things that I have learned in my first year of officiating school games.

1. I really enjoy the whole school atmosphere. I like the school spirit and the fight for your school part of the game. Seems like kids play harder for there school than they do for say an AAU team.

2. 99 times out of 100 sportsmanship is much greater at the school games than it is at the AAU or club level.

3. I think it is a prerequisite at some schools that from the V headcoach to the Freshman headcoach they have to be buttheads. Seems like if the big guy is a whinner the whole staff is.

4. The more I slow down the better I see the game. I was noticing tonight that I was real relaxed and the picture I was seeing seemed to be much broader.

5. My comfort level seems to rely heavily on the trust I have for my partner. Last night I had a GJV game in which I was working with a partner that I like but don't trust. Never felt comfortable all night and thought I called just a average game. People afterward told me I called a good game but I still feel I could have done better.

6. Really starting to believe in the whole advantage/disadvantage and let the player play through insignificant contact thing. Seems to make the game have a better flow and rewards good play and good players.

7. Sorry this may not be politically corect (I have two daughters that play) but GJV games are just ugly most of the time.

8. It is true what you all say the higher the level of the game the easier it is to officiate. When players know how to play the game is much easier to call.

9. Last but not least. I LOVE this thing we call work. I can't wait to get there every night. Just something about it I don't know if it is working for the kids or just being on the field of play again but I an hooked. It may kill me but what a way to go.

CentralINRef

Adam Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:37am

Welcome to the club. You've been hooked. Resistance is futile, so you may as well settle in and enjoy the ride.
It's okay. I'm addicted, too.

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by CentralINRef
7. Sorry this may not be politically corect (I have two daughters that play) but GJV games are just ugly most of the time.

9. Last but not least. I LOVE this thing we call work. I can't wait to get there every night. Just something about it I don't know if it is working for the kids or just being on the field of play again but I an hooked. It may kill me but what a way to go.

It's okay to say that about GJV, if you'll also admit the same about BF. Fact is, in both anyone that can play is at the next level up. All that's left is the newbies, the wannabes, the not-quites. At least that's the case in most schools.

Yup, Snacks, he's hooked. Reel him in, and cook him. (Baby keeping you up tonight? Or did you have another great game?)

Adam Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

It's okay to say that about GJV, if you'll also admit the same about BF. Fact is, in both anyone that can play is at the next level up. All that's left is the newbies, the wannabes, the not-quites. At least that's the case in most schools.

Yup, Snacks, he's hooked. Reel him in, and cook him. (Baby keeping you up tonight? Or did you have another great game?)

No game tonight. Wednesday is my night off this week. Enjoyed some TV time with the lovely and gifted one, and am checking the board before I hit the sack. Baby's not due until August, but when Momma ain't sleeping well....
Tomorrow I get thrown back into reality. Frosh girls double header; local powerhouse program vs "not so much." I may have to break up the night with a T just to stay focused.

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
No game tonight. Wednesday is my night off this week. Enjoyed some TV time with the lovely and gifted one, and am checking the board before I hit the sack. Baby's not due until August, but when Momma ain't sleeping well....
Tomorrow I get thrown back into reality. Frosh girls double header; local powerhouse program vs "not so much." I may have to break up the night with a T just to stay focused.

Okay, sorry, I must have confused you with someone else. I was thinking your baby was born last fall. Sleep tight. Yawning is not allowed in Frosh games!

CentralINRef Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:55am

rainmaker you are absolutley correct. BF can be very ugly and for all the reasons you gave.

JRutledge Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:56am

Quote:

I will take a boy's freshman game any night over a girl's varsity game any day. That of course is just an opinion, but there are not nearly enough jump ball situations. You also not have to hear that "ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball," twenty times a night. :D

Peace

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I will take a boy's freshman game any night over a girl's varsity game any day. That of course is just an opinion, but there are not nearly enough jump ball situations. You also not have to hear that "ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball, ball," twenty times a night. :D

Peace

Around here the ball, ball, ball thing is dropping way off, especially at the varsity level. But then from what I gather, the level of girls' ball around here is a lot better than where you are. I've got a couple of boys freshman games coming up, and I'm dreading them. Well, they'll be nice for some variety, I guess. But for pure fun and the thrill of the game, I'll be floating high on Monday night. I've got a 4A varsity girls game between 1 and 3 in their league, with 3 improving as the season progresses and 1 struggling. There was an article about it in the paper today, and I'm already starting the pre-game. It'll beat any boys' freshman game all hollow.

CentralINRef Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:11am

Girls basketball is big here in Indiana, and I like you rainmaker don't hear the ball, ball, ball, thing very much. I will have to listen for that tommorow night and report back as I have a girls JV game at great little school just down the road from where I live. It has one of those old sunkin gyms that they fill for just about every game. School is to small to have football so basketball takes on an even greater importance.

I have my first BV gme friday night and like you am already counting the minutes. Found out this week that one of the teams may be in the Hall of Fame Classic(Indiana's most prestigous holiday tourney) next year so should be some good basketball played.

CentralINRef

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:17am

Quote:

Girls basketball is big here in Indiana, and I like you rainmaker don't hear the ball, ball, ball, thing very much. I will have to listen for that tommorow night and report back as I have a girls JV game at great little school just down the road from where I live. It has one of those old sunkin gyms that they fill for just about every game. School is to small to have football so basketball takes on an even greater importance.

I have my first BV gme friday night and like you am already counting the minutes. Found out this week that one of the teams may be in the Hall of Fame Classic(Indiana's most prestigous holiday tourney) next year so should be some good basketball played.

CentralINRef

So where in IN are you? My dad lives in Hagerstown, brother in Richmond.

CentralINRef Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:25am

Bedford/Bloomington area. If your brother lives in Richmond he sees some great highschool basketball as the North Central conference has teams in that area and it is considered one of the best if not the best conference for basketball in Indiana year in and year out.

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:29am

Quote:

Bedford/Bloomington area. If your brother lives in Richmond he sees some great highschool basketball as the North Central conference has teams in that area and it is considered one of the best if not the best conference for basketball in Indiana year in and year out.
Yup, you're right. I went to Earlham (a long, long time ago!) and it was like that back then. You had to buy your ticket to a game three days in advance or else you couldn't get in. The high school gym was bigger and seated more people than our college "fieldhouse". The high school is up to, like, 3000 or so kids, because they don't want to break up the sports power. Interesting culture!

JRutledge Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:33am

Quote:

Around here the ball, ball, ball thing is dropping way off, especially at the varsity level. But then from what I gather, the level of girls' ball around here is a lot better than where you are.

I do not know about all that. You hear me talking bad about girls basketball because let us face it, I do not like girl's basketball. But I would not go as far to say that as compared to other states or your state the quality is bad. Some of the top programs recruit heavily from this area. Candace Parker came from a school less than 15 minutes from my house. Other than the money, I would rather do a boy's freshman game over a women's college basketball game. But that is just my opinion. Nothing wrong if someone feels differently, but I like chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream the best. That certainly does not mean someone else could not like another flavor. ;)

Quote:

I've got a couple of boys freshman games coming up, and I'm dreading them. Well, they'll be nice for some variety, I guess. But for pure fun and the thrill of the game, I'll be floating high on Monday night. I've got a 4A varsity girls game between 1 and 3 in their league, with 3 improving as the season progresses and 1 struggling. There was an article about it in the paper today, and I'm already starting the pre-game. It'll beat any boys' freshman game all hollow.
On Monday I worked a JV game with two very talented boy's teams that I would take any day over any girl's varsity game with a packed house. The JV game was on or near the rim, two man mechanics and I loved every minute of it. I had a Sophomore Girl's game about two weeks ago and I wanted to go in a little hole and fade away from that game. It was just awful. I had a Freshman boy's X-Mas Tournament during the season and it was a lot of fun. One of the coaches was a jerk, but I had a great deal of fun. The fans were into the tournament and I worked the Freshman B Championship game and had much more fun working that than the Sophomore Girl's game I worked. I have a Freshman girl's game next week and I am doing it as a favor to a friend that had to go out of town for business purposes. That will be a huge favor. Especially the next two weeks I will see 3 rank Boy's varsity teams, about 4 already committed D1 players going to major programs after high school and one really big rivalry that will make headlines. And I have this Freshman A and B game squeezed in the middle of all this good basketball. I just hope it is a quick night.

Peace

rainmaker Thu Jan 27, 2005 01:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
but I like chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream the best. That certainly does not mean someone else could not like another flavor. ;)
I always knew there was something weird about you!!

Quote:

I had a Sophomore Girl's game about two weeks ago and I wanted to go in a little hole and fade away from that game. I have a Freshman girl's game next week and I am doing it as a favor to a friend that had to go out of town for business purposes. That will be a huge favor.

Sophomore girls', and most freshman girls, I enjoy for some reasons but they seldom have to do with basketball! I agree completely about that.