The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Had an 'older' official give me a tip I wanted to pass along. It came from working my first 'big' JV game and having the arrow up on the scoreboard.

Prior to this game all my games had an arrow at the scoring table so direction was a pretty easy matter. But up on the wall at the end of the gym was a new deal for me.

A habit of carrying an extra whistle had already been ingrained from working football, so I carried one with me working BB too. Seemed like a good idea to me anyway. So to keep track of the PA I simply switch my whistle from one pocket to the other. When there is a JB whichever side my whistle is on while facing the benches indicates the direction of the ball.

Now if I can only remember to switch the whistle every time...
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It works fine for JV level stuff, but I would work hard at dropping the habit for varsity. It looks goofy, and there's no reason to hurry, so you can take the time to look at the board and figure it out.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Don't the rules state that the arrow must be on the table??

I don't have my book with me right now so I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I thought it says.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Whether the rule states that or not is sometimes irrelevant. We've all done games where they didn't have one.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Whether the rule states that or not is sometimes irrelevant. We've all done games where they didn't have one.
1-16. First time I've ever used Rule 1!

I'd rather use a water bottle at the table than that darn arrow on the scoreboard. When I was doing mostly rec and little kids stuff, I carried a small neon orange pylon in the trunk of my car. Laid on its side, it makes a good arrow. You just have to show the people at the table how to use it. Really not acceptable for HS stuff, though.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I'd rather use a water bottle at the table than that darn arrow on the scoreboard. When I was doing mostly rec and little kids stuff, I carried a small neon orange pylon in the trunk of my car. Laid on its side, it makes a good arrow. You just have to show the people at the table how to use it. Really not acceptable for HS stuff, though.
If you had to help people figure out how to turn a cone on it's side, working the clock must have been like neurophysics to them.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It works fine for JV level stuff, but I would work hard at dropping the habit for varsity. It looks goofy, and there's no reason to hurry, so you can take the time to look at the board and figure it out.
This is another one of those nit-picky evaluator things -- someone has a personal thing against this, so it becomes "goofy." Truth is, the only person that would ever notice something like this is an official (or evaluator) looking for it. Moving a whistle from one pocket to another could be done quite discreetly.

That said, it's better to just remember the arrow.

My pet peeve is the official that turns all the way around to look at the arrow. There's one official already "facing" the arrow and that official should be the one to give direction after an AP situation.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
This is another one of those nit-picky evaluator things -- someone has a personal thing against this, so it becomes "goofy." Truth is, the only person that would ever notice something like this is an official (or evaluator) looking for it.
Maybe, but if I've been told that such and so of an evaluator hates this (and I have been so told), I'm sure not going to do it!!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Had an 'older' official give me a tip I wanted to pass along. It came from working my first 'big' JV game and having the arrow up on the scoreboard.

Prior to this game all my games had an arrow at the scoring table so direction was a pretty easy matter. But up on the wall at the end of the gym was a new deal for me.

A habit of carrying an extra whistle had already been ingrained from working football, so I carried one with me working BB too. Seemed like a good idea to me anyway. So to keep track of the PA I simply switch my whistle from one pocket to the other. When there is a JB whichever side my whistle is on while facing the benches indicates the direction of the ball.

Here's a tip: keep the arrow in your head. Don't trust your spare whistle or rubber band to be right. Never trust the table to be right. It's easy to do.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Look like you're playing pocket pool.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I fully support this. In fact, I've been doing this exact mechanic for about 5 years now. It has saved me many many many times.

I also know that 'to move to the next level', this sort of thing is frowned upon. They say you should know the arrow in your head. Whatever.

Do what gets you to the next level. For me, I have no desire to do University level ball. That's why I do what I want to do. Like I said, that mechanic has saved our *** many times over.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I have been working on keeping track of the arrow in my head. I have seen even tabled arrows not being switched. Try keeping it in your head.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I would not rely on the scoreboard. There is no reason that a school cannot get an arrow at the table. That's where it supposed to be. If there is not an arrow they can get you one. A marker one on cardboard is better than one on the board...
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Keep the arrow in your head. After each held ball, mentally tell yourself two or three times who gets the next alternating possession.

I had an evaluator tell me that if he ever caught anyone doing the whistle switch, that official would never work a game for him ever again.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I'd rather use a water bottle at the table than that darn arrow on the scoreboard.
Juulie's exactly right. Get something on the table. We have a local school that just got nifty new scoreboards and for some reason, they think that's good enough. I've been there several times over the last two years and I always have to ask for an arrow at the table. (I know they have one, so why don't they just use it?) I always get the same response: "Why? It's on the scoreboard". Last week, it went even further. The guy at the table asked me "Well, if it's the rule, why don't we have to have it for any other game?" Dude, get me an arrow, or we don't start on time (I was a little more polite than that). So out comes a new, really cool-looking, high-tech, possession arrow that they just got. I don't know what the deal is with them.

As to remembering the arrow. As Dan said it's not that hard. Here's how to do it. For your backcourt, closely guarded, and inbounding counts, instead of counting "1-1,000 2-1,000 3-1,000" count "1-red arrow, 2-red arrow, 3-red arrow". Use it for every time you count, and you'll know the possession arrow on nearly every trip down the court.