The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more coaches and players crying for an "automatic" Player Control Foul because the defender "lowered his/her shoulder"????

It just seems like I have been hearing this a lot more in the past couple of years than in the previous many years.
It seems as though these players/coaches feel that Legal Guarding Position does not matter in this case.

Just curious......
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Ball handler or dribbler?

Do you mean the ball handler? If you are talking about the ball handler, then I agree that the burden is on the dribbler/ball handler in those cases. Not sure I am hearing anything out of the ordinary, but if the dribbler lowers their head, I really do not care what the defender did as a rule of thumb.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

OK..Clarification....Dribbler driving towards the basket...
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with Rut. If the dribbler drops the shoulder, the defender is going to have to be wildly out of position to get hit with a block.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I am going PC. When I see a player lower the shoulder, it is saying that he is going to initiate contact. Yes, I want to watch the defense but the lowering of the should usually distracts me from doing this and I want to call PC.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Jan 25th, 2005 at 01:17 PM]
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

For most of the people I know and work with lowering the shoulder is about as close to an automatic PC foul as you can get.

Not sure I agree in all cases, but I had an old (retired) official tell me sometimes you just need to make the call everyone expects for your own sanity...this might be an example.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I agree with Rut. If the dribbler drops the shoulder, the defender is going to have to be wildly out of position to get hit with a block.
I have made a few calls based on this. They were so popular, the coaches for the team I called the foul on stood up and cheered for me!

Most people think if the defenders feet are moving, then it's a block. Legal guarding position does not mean you must "be set". That's what I hear as much as "he lowered his shoulder". The opposite side says "he wasn't set!"
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I could use help the other way...If the dribbler, in the post, keeps backing in, shouldn't that be called a PC foul? The player playing defense has legal guarding position: both feet on floor, facing the player, but, it seems, we generally give a lot of leeway to the dribbler in this situation, maybe because the defender seldom falls down. Or we call the defender for "bodying up" on the dribbler. What guidelines do others use for this type of play?.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I could use help the other way...If the dribbler, in the post, keeps backing in, shouldn't that be called a PC foul? The player playing defense has legal guarding position: both feet on floor, facing the player, but, it seems, we generally give a lot of leeway to the dribbler in this situation, maybe because the defender seldom falls down. Or we call the defender for "bodying up" on the dribbler. What guidelines do others use for this type of play?.
If the defender doesn't fall...I got no call.

If the defender hits the ground I got a PC, as long as the defender is not moving forward.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't wait for the defender to fall, but you have to determine whether he's being pushed or is giving up ground. If I think he's being pushed under the hoop, PC.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

There is a big difference between lowering a shoulder and CONTACTING the defender. Most of the times I hear coaches or players saying this, there is no contact.

This is coachspeak much like "moving screen" is, we hear them asking for something that is not a foul without contact.

It is a normal position for a dribbler going to the basket to have their head and shoulder leading the rest of their body.

We are still looking for LGP and contact that displaces the defender.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
There is a big difference between lowering a shoulder and CONTACTING the defender. Most of the times I hear coaches or players saying this, there is no contact.

This is coachspeak much like "moving screen" is, we hear them asking for something that is not a foul without contact.
Bingo!

Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Look for displacement....not the defender falling to the floor. Does the offensive post player move the defender? Get an advantage? TWEET! Player control!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Bingo!

Yes the dribbler can lower his shoulder to get around a defender... if he gets that head and shoulders past the defender... then I've either got a no call or a blocking foul if the defender continues to move into the dribbler - because that is not legal guarding position.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

The dribber can move any direction he wants and in any orientation unless the defender gets to the spot first and/or has LGP.

The shoulder being lowered is only a clue. If the defender is moving towards the dribbler at the time of contact, I'm still calling a block.

If the defender has LGP, PC.