The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No Coach Left... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17885-no-coach-left.html)

champ Mon Jan 24, 2005 02:47pm

A lot of lower level HS teams (9th/Sophs, etc.) have only one coach. If that coach were ejected (assume for a VERY good reason), wouldn't the game then be forfeited to the other team, as no coach or supervising adult is now present?

brandan89 Mon Jan 24, 2005 02:59pm

You're correct. If there is only one coach, and he gets kicked out, then the game is over.

[Edited by brandan89 on Jan 24th, 2005 at 03:06 PM]

Mlancaster Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:00pm

Absolutely. Period.

Dan_ref Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
Your correct.
Your correct what?

(Mr Spelling is away this week.)

Smitty Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:02pm

Sure would be a shame if no parents came to watch the game. I suppose if it's a visiting team and the distance was pretty far it would be understandable. Maybe the bus driver? :)

brandan89 Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:13pm

------------------

What is that suppost to mean, I know I cannot spell one bit, but you dont have to rub it in, if that is what you are trying to do. :)

tjones1 Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:15pm

Anyone ever seen/had this happen to them?

Smitty Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:18pm

Before I end one of these games with a forfeit, and remember we are talking about lower level here, I am going to try and find someone who can take over on the bench so the kids get to finish the game. If a parent is available and willing, they get to coach the team. I'm avoiding a forfeit at all costs.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:31pm

Quote:

------------------

What is that <font color = red>suppost</font> to mean, I know I cannot spell one bit, but you dont have to rub it in, if that is what you are trying to do. :)

Mr. Spelling's illegitimate son sez that word is supposed to be "supposed".

"Suppost" is what older people like Dan_Ref use for veryclose veins, etc.

Dan_ref Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

------------------

What is that <font color = red>suppost</font> to mean, I know I cannot spell one bit, but you dont have to rub it in, if that is what you are trying to do. :)

Mr. Spelling's illegitimate son sez that word is supposed to be "supposed".

"Suppost" is what older people like Dan_Ref use for veryclose veins, etc.

If that is suppost to be funny your not succeeding.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
If that is suppost to be funny your not <font color = red>succeeding</font>. [/B][/QUOTE]
JR(in Grade 4)- <i>"If at first you don't succeed, suck a tomato and you'll succeed"</i>.

Bwahahahaha........

up you'res! :D

Dan_ref Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
If that is suppost to be funny your not <font color = red>succeeding</font>. [/B]
JR(in Grade 4)- <i>"If at first you don't succeed, suck a tomato and you'll succeed"</i>.

Bwahahahaha........

up you'res! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I learned this one from Sister Bruno Samartino at the School of the Most Holy Bleeding Knuckles:

Sticks and stones can break my bones
So why don't you go **** yourself.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 24, 2005 03:58pm

Damn. Spit on the screen again. :D

You win.

SF Mon Jan 24, 2005 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Anyone ever seen/had this happen to them?
Yes.

Except it was 3 coaches who were ejected because of racial remarks and fighting. The other team behaved perfectly - didn't even raise a fist despite being charged by these "adults." At that point we had game management intervene and forfeited the game, as it was much to ugly to continue. I thought it was the right decision then, and I still do.

MikeCapps Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:11pm

I would be very careful in this situation.

You legally cannot have just anyone take over the team and finish a game. It has to be someone approved by the school and has met coaching qualifications. A school administrator or the athletic director could sit on the bench and finish the game.

A parent?" Absolutely not.