The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 01:55pm
M.A.S.H.

1st qrt. Loose ball, coach thought there was a foul and he goes crazy and is basically down at the baseline (I'm new lead) screaming into my ear. Play contines and I take my whistle out of my mouth and tell him to get into his box. He says "then why don't you get into the game." WHACK! Correct?

At the end of the game as we are leaving, him and his assnt coach both say this: "you need to work on your attitude". Should I report this?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
1st qrt. Loose ball, coach thought there was a foul and he goes crazy and is basically down at the baseline (I'm new lead) screaming into my ear. Play contines and I take my whistle out of my mouth and tell him to get into his box. He says "then why don't you get into the game." WHACK! Correct?

Disagree.

Do not WHACK!.

A simple "ho-hum...whack" is enough.
Quote:

At the end of the game as we are leaving, him and his assnt coach both say this: "you need to work on your attitude". Should I report this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "report it" but I wouldn't file a formal complaint or report (unless you need to do this for the T anyway). But I would give my assignor a call to tell him what happened so he's prepared if the coach calls him to complain. From the sound of it I bet your assignor will say something like "yeah, he's a jerk" and give you an attaboy for taking care of it. He might ask you to send you something in writing but I wouldn't until I spoke to him first.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:10pm
M.A.S.H.

No assignor is this area. However, this was a regional game (7th grade) and the principal was there (fellow official) and he said there was nothing I could have done and that I was right on what I did.

By report it, I mean file an unsportsmanlike conduct report with the IESA.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No assignor is this area. However, this was a regional game (7th grade) and the principal was there (fellow official) and he said there was nothing I could have done and that I was right on what I did.

By report it, I mean file an unsportsmanlike conduct report with the IESA.
You get these games directly from the school?

Anyways, this sounds like a typical 7th grade almost brand new coach type of thing. Sure, write him up, maybe someone will talk to him & straighten him out or get him out.

Maybe your friend the pricipal will speak to him about his behavior.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. See that's the thing, he's not a new coach. He's been doing 7th grade for a long time...at least 11/12 years.

Yes these games come from the school.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. See that's the thing, he's not a new coach. He's been doing 7th grade for a long time...at least 11/12 years.

Yes these games come from the school.
I was afraid you were going to say that! LOL

The guy's obviously a well known jerk, and now you know it too. Write his @ss up, but if he's been at it this long there's probably a whole file cabinet ful of reports on him.

In the meantime whenever you see this guy keep handing out the T's. Maybe he'll learn you're not to be ****ed with.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan,

I think this might explain why he's been doing 7th grade for 12 years
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:35pm
M.A.S.H.

Dan and ref18 thank ya thank ya. I believe most of the problem lies that I'm very young (19) and he probably thinks he can take advantage of me. Maybe he'll learn a lesson from today's game.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

As another young official, 18, I have to say that I've seen this a lot. A lot of the younger officials in our association don't deal with coaches and let them rant.

I like to put them on a leash and keep control of them from early in the game.

Don't be afraid to deal with coaches. Now, the coaches are always well behaved when they see me because they've seen me enough to know that I'm not taking any crap from them.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Where was this at tjones? I worked a Regional at Dieterich this past Saturday and the coaches were wonderful. Let me know where this was and I can tell you if this coach has a history of jerkiness (is that a word).
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
Where was this at tjones? I worked a Regional at Dieterich this past Saturday and the coaches were wonderful. Let me know where this was and I can tell you if this coach has a history of jerkiness (is that a word).
Sent you an e-mail.