The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How are you paid (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17764-how-you-paid.html)

rviotto13 Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07pm

How are officials at the college level paid, is it cash or cheque??
Just wondering??

Adam Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:14pm

gold bullion :D

ref18 Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:24pm

I know the OUA gives football officials a cheque at the end of the season, so I'm assuming it's the same for the basketball officials. Although I could be wrong.

JRutledge Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:22am

Check I guess.

I am sure some schools are different, but usually I am paid by check.

Peace

M&M Guy Thu Jan 20, 2005 09:46am

At least in our area, in Illinois, almost all of the schools pay by check the day of the game. This includes HS as well as JUCO and small college. There is one school in our JUCO league that pays cash every game, and we have to sign a receipt of payment. I've heard it has something to do with the Booster Club helping to pay for officials, but I don't know for sure. But most schools have the check ready at game time. There is the occasional issue of replacement refs, and the check is still made out to the original ref, but we usually just sign the other guy's name on the back and cash it with the support of the school.

dblref Thu Jan 20, 2005 09:57am

We get paid for the scholastic season at the end of the season -- actually, about 5-6 weeks after the season. This is because my association bills the schools at the end of the season and it takes a little while for the schools to send the check to the association and then they cut a check for us. Makes for a nice vacation check. We get paid for rec ball after each season, i.e., spring league, summer league, and fall league.

Adam Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:21am

Small unmarked bills.

Mark Dexter Sat Jan 22, 2005 08:56am

I can't imagine a college paying for anything (including officials) by any means other than a check.

Except for Chuck - he's worked out arrangements with a few schools to get paid in Diet Coke. ;)

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 22, 2005 09:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Small unmarked bills.
Someone told me that you should be wearing a mask when you get paid for a game. :D

ReadyToRef Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:23am

In one division, we sign our names onto a form with our addresses and Social Security numbers. The school mails us a check a week or so later.

In another, the assigning secretary sends us a check at the end of the year.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:52am

We have association bi-weekly meeting where we receive a cheque for the previous two weeks games.

I'd prefer a nice big cheque at the end of the year, since I don't rely on the income for basic living.

buckrog64 Sat Jan 22, 2005 01:48pm

We supposed to get paid?

Dan_ref Sat Jan 22, 2005 02:50pm

A 5 minute headstart after the game.

tjones1 Sat Jan 22, 2005 03:55pm

The game admin or AD gives us our checks.

thumpferee Sat Jan 22, 2005 04:26pm

I believe I heard of one official who call a game that was deducted $1.oo for every foul he called against their team, he owed the school $5.oo.