The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It's that time of year again. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17759-its-time-year-again.html)

brandan89 Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:14pm

I know it vary's from state to state, but I am not 100% sure of how it works. How does it work for you in your state? Is there a certain amount to make? Does the school report you, or do you have to do it?

Sorry, yes I am talking about taxes, I just realized that I didnt put it in there.

As far as reporting us, what I mean is do they send to the state how much they pay us, or do we have to do it.

[Edited by brandan89 on Jan 19th, 2005 at 09:28 PM]

JRutledge Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:21pm

By law you have to report everything you make. I am going to assume that you are an independent contractor. It might be safe to assume that you are not going to make over $600 for one school. Only then does a school have to report the amount to who they pay. Officiating is a business, so everything you make and everything you put into it can be a write off on your taxes. Not sure what you are looking for.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jan 19th, 2005 at 09:41 PM]

brandan89 Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:32pm

I edited it.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:43pm

Brandan,

Don't cheat on your taxes. Report all income. Take every deduction & loophole that is legally yours. At your age I'm sure we're not talking about a lot of money and cheating on taxes is a very bad habit to get into.

I use Turbo Tax and report my officiating income/expenses on schedule C. You'll be surprised how many legitimate expenses there are to offset your officiating income.

brandan89 Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:46pm

The guy who schedules my games only schedule school games. I get my own summer league games and childrens league games. Can i report them all together?

Dan_ref Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
The guy who schedules my games only schedule school games. I get my own summer league games and childrens league games. Can i report them all together?
Yes you can & should.

Keep an account of the games, income & expenses per game, regardless of whether you submit your SS# and get a check or you get cash under the table. If you make over a certain amount with a particular organization you (and the government) will get a 1099 form but this form doesn't get filed as I recall.

ReadyToRef Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:58pm

Dan,

What are deductions and loopholes are you referring to?

Dan_ref Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Dan,

I am not an expert but things such as travel from work to game site, camps, uniforms, association dues, educational material, etc.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Dan,

Uniforms
Equipment
Fees
Insurance premiums
Professional publications

williebfree Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:39am

Additional items not previously mentioned:

Rules software (and your tax preparation software and consultation fees, as well),
licensing fees,
Subscription to officiating.com :)

dblref Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:01am

I get a Form 1099 from the treasurer of my association. It covers scholastic and rec earnings. We, or I guess I should say I, do not do any games that are not assigned by either the scholastic commissioner or the rec commissioner.