The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Last night I had my first correctable error in 5 years and I'm pretty sure we booted it. Ugly game in the first half. I had to sit the home coach down for telling me to "wake up" after I'd given him the stop sign and talk. Late in the second half, we shot the first end of a 1-1, the rebound was controlled and we headed up the other way against the press. The table buzzes us and we find that they mistakenly told us we weren't in the double bonus yet. Here's what we do. We went back and shot the second free throw and played on from there. Also, my partner put 2 seconds back on the clock. Under game circumstances both coaches were happy about it. Upon further reflection after the fact, without looking at my books....we should have gone back, shot the free throw without rebounders, and then gone back to the spot where we blew the play dead. No time should have been put back up. I'm correct in how it should have been done? Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Jeff,
I think the only thing you did wrong was putting the 2 seconds back up. It's POI after a change of possession, which occurred on the rebound.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

So you're saying I am right in my way of correcting? We ended up resuming play on the rebound from the second shot. Where were you last night when I needed you in my game?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Upon further reflection after the fact, without looking at my books....we should have gone back, shot the free throw without rebounders, and then gone back to the spot where we blew the play dead. No time should have been put back up. I'm correct in how it should have been done?
Correct.

Since there was a change of possession, shoot the FT with no one along the lane and give the ball back to B, POI.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. My partner and I talked it over in the locker room and both agreed that we didn't do it right. He's been at it about 3 times as long as I so I kind of rode shotgun on the play rather than tell him we couldn't put time back up and such. Also, we pulled both coaches to the middle to explain what we were doing. We weren't by the book correct (which is going to bother me for the rest of the week, but at least I know I'll get it if it ever happens again) but the coaches were satisfied.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So you're saying I am right in my way of correcting? We ended up resuming play on the rebound from the second shot. Where were you last night when I needed you in my game?
You know, I need to read posts three times before responding. I'd delete my first response, but I think I'll leave it there as a constant reminder of what happens when I write before thinking.
My only excuse is I don't really wake up until around 10 am or so.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain. The Home coach got his T from me for telling me to "wake up" after he had been given his "that's enough coach" talk.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Where were you? Which girls were playing?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Valley-Roosevelt 10th grade Boys at Valley. First time I've worked there and had to pop the coach. Isn't there a saying about first impressions.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Valley-Roosevelt 10th grade Boys at Valley. First time I've worked there and had to pop the coach. Isn't there a saying about first impressions.
Tough to overcome.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it will be too big of a deal. I think the coach wanted the T as a coaching move. I love it when they do that. The second half went well besides the screw up with the error. The coaches don't know any better though.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Game management

Quote:
I don't think it will be too big of a deal. I think the coach wanted the T as a coaching move. I love it when they do that. The second half went well besides the screw up with the error. The coaches don't know any better though.
But I'd give yourself an A for game management with the situation. If both coaches were satisfied, that's a good thing with a tricky sitch.

The coaches don't know the rules, so they wouldn't know if you did it right or not.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks David. I'm just kind of kicking myself for not thinking quickly enough to get it right on the spot. I'm pretty sure I'll never get that one wrong again. I guess I can call it a good learning experience.