The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had a game last night where I T'd a coach. No second thoughts. It was a very personal insult, and just the right volume at just the right time for everyone in the gym to hear.

But in reviewing the situation later in my head, I remembered something I read somewhere about ways to keep control and manage coaches, that didn't involve giving a T. I'm thinking I'd like to re-read the item, or at least visit the subject, but can't remember where I saw it.

It said something about a ref not giving a coach a T, although it was clearly deserved, because he thought the coach was using it to rev up his team, and the ref refused to be "worked". Yet because of the ref's responses and management, the coach settled down, and didn't escalate the situation.

Any advice about this technique or where I could read about this again would be appreciated.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

My advice. If the coach makes a derogatory, personal remark it is a T. Dont make judgements on why they want the "T". SO what if it revs up the team? I saw a game (in the stands) a couple of weeks ago where the coach clearly wanted a "T". Absolutely no doubt. Now the coach knows you dont have the guts to make any sort of call. You just lost. You lost the respect of the other coach. Because of not calling a T, later in this game both coachs were now arguing with each other. I think most coach's respect officials who make those calls even if it goes against them. Besides your not in the game to please coaches. If you were being evaluated to move up let's say to D1 ball and the evaluator heard a comment like you mention and you did not T the coach what would the evaluation say?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Here's another way to look at it: if a coach told you
to call every single travel you saw because it revs up his
team, would you refuse to call travels?