The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sitting during a free throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17730-sitting-during-free-throw.html)

JCurrie Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13pm

I had an interesting situation during a girls' JV game tonight. A player from team A would routinely squat down in her space in the lane while her opponent was shooting free throws. She did nothing disconcerting, did make any sudden moves or sounds. Later, she proceeded to sit on the floor during a free throw. Her team was getting a sound drubbing and it did not seem to have any impact on her opponents. However, I told her to stay on her feet during free throws and mentioned something to her coach. Would you consider sitting on the floor to be unsportsmanlike? perhaps a form of taunting (saying "I don't even need to stand up to play you")? I know in soccer seeing a goalkeeper sitting in the goal is a pretty sure way of inciting an opponent and I was wondering if anyone had the same feelings about basketball.

gordon30307 Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCurrie
I had an interesting situation during a girls' JV game tonight. A player from team A would routinely squat down in her space in the lane while her opponent was shooting free throws. She did nothing disconcerting, did make any sudden moves or sounds. Later, she proceeded to sit on the floor during a free throw. Her team was getting a sound drubbing and it did not seem to have any impact on her opponents. However, I told her to stay on her feet during free throws and mentioned something to her coach. Would you consider sitting on the floor to be unsportsmanlike? perhaps a form of taunting (saying "I don't even need to stand up to play you")? I know in soccer seeing a goalkeeper sitting in the goal is a pretty sure way of inciting an opponent and I was wondering if anyone had the same feelings about basketball.
Had players in the lane tieing shoes or pulling up socks but never seen or heard of one sitting. I would just ask her to stand up.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40pm

That's a weird l'il trick, but there's no rule against it. I'd leave it alone and let her coach worry about it- if her coach wanted to worry about it.

RookieDude Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:09pm

Maybe from a saftey aspect you could have her stand???
Players rebound...don't see her...step on her, or trip themselves.
As JR stated, no rule against it, but doesn't seem safe...and if definitely looks bad.

refnrev Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:56pm

I got nothing illegal, but common sense (which I am convinced is not so common anymore) tells you its a great way to get hurt or to get somebody hurt. I'd try to keep her on her feet.

rainmaker Wed Jan 19, 2005 01:00am

Quote:

What did she do when the opponent missed a shot?

dblref Wed Jan 19, 2005 08:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Was she able to stay within her assigned space?

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:06am

Remember - even though it's not marked, the lane spaces only extend back three feet.

Junker Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:26am

I'd go with safety and ask her to stand. Tell her that you don't want other players tripping over her. Did the coach take her out and address it?

SamIAm Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:37am

I would not allow the player to sit on the floor. I forsee a possible problem with sweat on the floor creating a safety hazard.

JCurrie Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
She just got up to play the second FT.

JCurrie Wed Jan 19, 2005 09:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
I'd go with safety and ask her to stand. Tell her that you don't want other players tripping over her. Did the coach take her out and address it?

I mentioned something to him and he subbed her out at the next opportunity. I saw this as less of a safety issue and more of a sportsmanship one. She was only on the floor during the first shot and got up for the second. To me it was an effort to show up the other team and, in a more contested game, could have been quite insulting.

Adam Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
I would not allow the player to sit on the floor. I forsee a possible problem with sweat on the floor creating a safety hazard.
I doubt if she's sweating if she's not playing that hard.

As for showing up the other team, I hardly think so if her team was getting trounced. She probably just hated getting beat that bad and was doing her best to look like she didn't care.

Adam Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:12am

"Coach. 23 doesn't look like she really wants to be here."

tjones1 Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:18am

I'm kind of shocked that the coach allows for this type of play. Even if you are getting beat by 20 or whatever, at least show you want to be there. Beats me, anyways, yes I would tell her to stand as well.