The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why ref? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17716-why-ref.html)

ChrisSportsFan Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by buckrog64
It's a good way to be involved in the lives of kids, in a positive manner. For all the hollering and advice that comes from the bleachers, you rarely see or hear of people who would willingly trade places with you. That's usually a fun place to be, through the good times and bad.
I worked a fundraiser tourney on Sat afternoon. It was pretty laid back kiddy ball. One of the things they did was have a parents from the team running the tourn ref along with us. That way they only had 1 ref to pay. These parents were 110% clueless. Didn't know where to stand or anything. If any grief was given, they received ALL of it. I worked 4 games with 3 different parents and they all said they now have a whole new respect for refs. One parent even fell while running backwards. I warned him but he thought he knew better.

Jayzer Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:47pm

For me it is an excuse to get out of the Apt. and do a little exercise that I would not nomally do. My grandsons play and I am at the gym to see them play, so why not ref. while i'm there. ( elementry school stuff,tounaments, etc.)
$ is not the most important thing for me, but as others say, I would't do it on a continuing basis ethier.

rainmaker Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:57pm

I started for the exercise. Now, I do it because I don't like the withdrawal when I stop!

rockyroad Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:02pm

Oh come on now...we all do it because it's the only moments in our lives we can wear tight polyester pants in public and get away with it!!

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:02pm

I do it for a lot of reasons. I do it because it has nothing to do with computers (which is my career and had been my hobby as well), it's a great stress reliever, because it is a huge challenge that gives expression to my competitive side, because the kids deserve to have somebody ref their games who really wants to do it right, for a bit of pocket money, to have a good excuse to hang out online, to get out of the house a bit, because it's great exercise, and to see how far I can go with it. :)

Smitty Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
I thought it would be a different way to be involved in sports, one I hadn't experienced before. A chance to help kids experience the good things in sports and facilitate their development. I heard you can meet some great people and have fun doing it.

It definitely isn't for the money, though I wouldn't do it for free.

Though right now it's not much fun. I admit I have a low tolerance for b-s when it's not directly related to something I absolutely have to do, but if it's going to be parents *****ing, coaches *****ing and players *****ing like it's been lately, I'm inclined to hang 'em up. I know it comes with the territory, but I've never had any grand designs on making this a career, so as long as it's going to be something I do on the side, I'm not inclined to put up with b-s.

/rant, sorry to digress

You and I are a lot alike in this respect. Although I would do it for free, and I have a bunch of times. Several years ago I was working in the worst association I have ever worked in - in Albuquerque, NM. I had one school where the parents were the absolute worst role models for their kids - they even went so far as to throw stuff onto the court during games. Then I moved to San Jose, CA and thought I'd be in for a lot better basketball, but it was not much better. The kids were as mouthy as the coaches, who were as mouthy as the parents. It was not any fun for me to go to games. I had a Varsity ref come onto my court in streetclothes at halftime one time and start berating my partner. I had no idea who the guy was and it scared me at first, till I found out he was a ref. This same ref, after the game, ripped my partner a new one in the hallway after the game. I had enough. So I quit and never looked back. Moved to Oregon and my son started high school. I went to his fall sports award ceremony, which happened to be in the gym at his school. First time I'd been in a high school gym since the day I quit reffing. I got the itch...so I started up again. I have a whole new attitude and am having more fun than I ever have. I don't know how long it will last this time, but I can tell you that it's only good if it's fun for you.

If you feel like you aren't having fun, maybe you should take a season off and see if you miss it. You're not going to be doing anyone any good if you're not having fun.

OverAndBack Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
If you feel like you aren't having fun, maybe you should take a season off and see if you miss it. You're not going to be doing anyone any good if you're not having fun.
Well I'm not going to make any rash decisions based on the bad experience I had last night, but I have two more games scheduled next week and I'm going to do those and then re-evaluate. I don't have anything else scheduled, though I could pick up more games if I wanted to. I'm just not sure I want to.

I have to admit I don't love basketball. Right now I think I actually prefer football officiating (even though it's more complex), and I didn't think that way after my first football experience.

Smitty Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:29pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
Well I'm not going to make any rash decisions based on the bad experience I had last night, but I have two more games scheduled next week and I'm going to do those and then re-evaluate. I don't have anything else scheduled, though I could pick up more games if I wanted to. I'm just not sure I want to.

I have to admit I don't love basketball. Right now I think I actually prefer football officiating (even though it's more complex), and I didn't think that way after my first football experience.

Well no matter how much you love any sport, you're likely to have your good games and your bad games. I had my best game of the season last Thursday, followed immediately by my worst game of the season last Friday. We must have easily called at least 90 fouls Friday night. All you can do is be glad it's over and look forward to the next one. If you find yourself being glad every game is over, then it's time to question your motives. Hang in there and good luck. Hope you feel good enough to stick with it.

Junker Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:34pm

I agree with most. I do it because I've always loved the game. The money and exercise are great. I look really good in black and white polyester. The one I haven't seen that is a big motivator for me is the fraternity with other officials. Most of my good friends from college worked their way through intramurals on up to HS varsity while going to college. I got enjoy their stories second hand and finally decided to give it a shot myself. We all still communicate on our cell phones at least once a week on the way home from games, talking about situations and humorous stories. I only wish I would have started sooner. I'm even thinking about picking up softball, baseball and football.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:54pm

Challenge

Quote:

That's part of the challenge... can you re-engage and forget the crap from last game? Can you do a better job? You can't... if you quit.

Many are the games I've come home fuming and continued to stew about some tiny little thing for days.... anyone else upset?... anyone else stewing....? probably not. Just me.

Then there are the games I didn't do anything but smile and sweat for the whole game.

Worked a game last week that just seemed horrible to be involved in - the girls played terrible and clobbered the snot out of each other. When it was all said and done our crew got compliments from both sides about the great job.... so there are also bad games, you can still do a great job and receive the appreciation of the parents/fans.

My schedule is so extremely full... but I'm not sure I could give it up. It is too much fun!:D

som44 Tue Jan 18, 2005 03:04pm

Just cause when played right it is the best game out there. I just really enjoy the game and this is a way of staying involved.

garote Tue Jan 18, 2005 03:34pm

No smart %^$^% comments....I like the pressure of getting it right. I realize that I have a partner, but it really boils down to me getting in the right position, getting the right angle, and getting the call right. Even if everyone in the stands hates the call. IF I know I got it right that just gets me even more charged up. Because I know something that they don't.

Don't take this as arrogance; I have missed more than my fair share of calls.

I'm working on getting that perfect game everyday.

dknick78 Tue Jan 18, 2005 03:59pm

Coaches, fans and parents would be surprised at the comments that have been made.

It is so true, we all want to get it right.

It would be great to get it all 100% right all the time.

That is what we are trying to do.

Ref Daddy Tue Jan 18, 2005 05:23pm

I do it for the challenge. Its one of the hardest things to try to master. Its fast, detailed, emotional, specific, its a speciality in and of itself.

No better place to be than in the arena with the warriors. The referee has the best seat in the house.

rainmaker Tue Jan 18, 2005 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Oh come on now...we all do it because it's the only moments in our lives we can wear tight polyester pants in public and get away with it!!
Some of us don't really "get away with it!"