The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Boys Varsity game last night. Home team up by 30 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Home team trys to feed a high post from the wing, I am the lead. The ball goes out of bounds on the other side of the floor, neither I nor my partner see the ball get tipped. We think maybe it did, but with the visitors down by 30 already, they get the benefit of the doubt. I am about to administer the ball in the new back court, in front of the home bench. The coach says/asks wasn't it tipped? I asked my partner, neither of us saw it, so I tell him, we didn't see a tip (being up 30 he is pretty agreeable) as I start to step out of bounds to adminiter the throw in, a kid from the visitors ( the coaches kid) says hey I tipped it. It took me by surprise, so rather than tell him it was his lucky day, I said "what" he says I tipped it, it is their ball...a few other kids hear it, so rather than make the kid look foolish by not listening, I call my partner over, and tell him what happened...fortunately he had to explain to the visiting coach that his kid just told us to give the ball to the other team LOL.....restores my faith in the younger generation....there is a sportsmanship award for each team at this gym at the end of the game...one player from each team...needless to say the choice was easy for the visiting team.....
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Great story. You can only hope that the coach's kid would do the exact same thing in a tied game too. Being just a tad cynical, I kinda wonder though.

And I say that not to denigrate in any way what the kid did either. That was exemplary on his part.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

JR I agree, we discussed that after the game too...but honestly, dealing with the kid the whole game, I honestly think he would have done the same thing...it certainly is a story I will remember for quite some time...
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

If your state has a policy / procuedure to recognize sporting behaviour, you should use it.

If not, use the procedure you'd use to explain ejections.

Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

good idea

Bob,
Great idea, thanks for suggesting it...I will look into it