The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Displacement-Opinions please (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17664-displacement-opinions-please.html)

Chess Ref Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:30am

1st yr ref. Trying to figure out which contact is okay and when it crosses the line.
So last night BJV game. One kid really physically strong. He is using his butt to move kids out from underneath. the movement is between 3-5 feet everytime. i talked to him-he continues. I call it-his coach says "It is good rebounding position " i tell coach I disagree and i am going to continue calling it . I do and game goes on. My partner thinks i should have used Advantage/Disadvantage on this sitch. My thinking is this bullying then is going to lead to more pushing by oppnents. etc, etc This is not incidential rebounding contact this is solid movement of the players going on.

Any feedback will as always be appreciated... Mike

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:36am

If the kid is using his butt to move opponents 3-5 feet, he sureashell <b>is</b> getting an advantage. Your partner's out to lunch on this one, and you didn't really expect the kid's coach to say anything different anyway, did you?

Good call. Don't second-guess yourself. And btw, unless the coach specifically asks about a call, don't talk to him about them. Just make the call. You don't have to justify your calls.

thumpferee Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:37am

Called 5 of those fouls last night on rebounds, as well as a PC foul for using his butt to clear out defender.

Rules Book 10-6-1

Chess Ref Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:58am

More specific sitch

Okay from the two responses so far i wasn't out in left field. Now team A puts up shot. team B starts his butt rebounding drill I whistle -ball goes in. This is where my partner said i should have Adv/Disadv. because the shot went in A was not Disadvantaged by Team B and his butt rebounding drill. I believed and still do that moving people 3-5 feet needs to be addressed ( calling a foul) or it is gonna get real physical and ugly pretty quick.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:07am

Re: More specific sitch

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
Okay from the two responses so far i wasn't out in left field. Now team A puts up shot. team B starts his butt rebounding drill I whistle -ball goes in. This is where my partner said i should have Adv/Disadv. because the shot went in A was not Disadvantaged by Team B and his butt rebounding drill. I believed and still do that moving people 3-5 feet needs to be addressed ( calling a foul) or it is gonna get real physical and ugly pretty quick.
You're giving your partner's advice way too much credibility. Obviously your partner doessn't really know the concepts behind advantage/disadvantage. Advantage/disadvantage simply does not apply to rough play, and it never has and never will. Trust your own judgement. To me, it sounds like your judgement is a whole lot sounder than your partner's.

When it comes to taking advice from partners- even supposedly veteran ones- use what you think is logical and appropriate and discard everything else.

blindzebra Sun Jan 16, 2005 01:47pm

Re: More specific sitch

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
This type of contact has VERY LITTLE to do with advantage/disadvantage, it falls under ROUGH PLAY. Anytime you have a player being MOVED 3-5 feet it's a foul, the same goes for a two handed push.

Now on "normal" displacement a good rule of thumb to use is did the contact go THROUGH the opponent, or did they stop and go the other way at the point of contact.

rainmaker Sun Jan 16, 2005 04:06pm

Re: Re: More specific sitch

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Now on "normal" displacement a good rule of thumb to use is did the contact go THROUGH the opponent, or did they stop and go the other way at the point of contact.
Good wording. Except I'd add a ? or two at the end.

blindzebra Sun Jan 16, 2005 04:47pm

Re: Re: Re: More specific sitch

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Thank of the opponent's torso as a plane and was the contact through this plane or did it stop at that plane?

Was any seperation caused by a flop or a fade away?

Bruce Lee was quoted as saying you don't throw a punch at the target, but 6 inches beyond the target.

Does that help, grasshopper? :D

rainmaker Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:46am

Re: Re: Re: Re: More specific sitch

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Thank of the opponent's torso as a plane and was the contact through this plane or did it stop at that plane?

Was any seperation caused by a flop or a fade away?

Bruce Lee was quoted as saying you don't throw a punch at the target, but 6 inches beyond the target.

Does that help, grasshopper? :D

I didn't mean add a question. I meant add a question mark!