The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Smile

It finally happened, I think. Maybe last night was the turning point for me. Coming into the year my goal was to see if I could be ready for varsity ball next season. I have been hearing good things from the varsity officials that have seen me work, but never felt like I was quite where I needed to be.

Last night I worked a game with a partner that was in my officiating class last year. Two newbies on the court together, but the game went very smoothly. For the first time in a while, I felt on top of my game.

Two veteran officials individually told us that we did a good job. They saw the first three periods. Regarding one of these guys, I was told that if he thinks you did a good job, you really did. He's very up front with his reviews.

Maybe this shot of confidence will allow me to finish the season strong.

Thanks goes out to the many members here who's comments and suggestions have played a big part of my development. This board has been a valuable and almost exclusive resource for me this year. My mentor, so to speak.

I'm ready to get back out there now.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
For the first time in a while, I felt on top of my game.
Isn't that a great feeling?! Enjoy it! Live into it for the next game, too. Make it last!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

And when you have a game where you feel just the opposite, and you will have one of those games, just remember this one and let the other one go...quickly.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations, Hartsy. It is wonderful to walk away from a game knowing both that (a) you were goood and (b) other people whom you respect thought you were good.

Keep working hard and gaining all the confidence you can (and deserve). As Smitty suggests, the confidence you are gaining will be very useful for those occasions when you will be humbled. It happens to all of us. I like to remind myself that I'm not as good as my best game and I'm not as bad as my worst game.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I like to remind myself that I'm not as good as my best game and I'm not as bad as my worst game.
I like that one. Have also heard it said that we never do as poorly as we thought we did, but never as good either.