The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hello Guys,

When is a good time to go to camps? After your first year, second third etc or when you are ready.

I have been invited to a couple of camps, one is more of a camp to pick up officials for NCAA d2 conference. I was invited to the D2 one but i am a little afraid that i will be over my head. When do you know you are ready.

I definately want to go to a camp but want some advice

What are your opinions
Thanks

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
If you want to improve as an official, you should be going to camps every summer. It is one way to shorten the learning curve because you get so much personal attention that you can never get during the season. I started officiating late in life (@40) and got hooked. I have been to at least five camps every summer and have been in situations over my head nearly every time but it has made me better. I got picked up by 3 college conferences last year after doing 3 yrs of high school and that never would have happened if I had not gone to camp that first year and kept on going. The one negative is that I have lost a lot more money at this than I have made! Most of the camps I have been to cost around $300 but it was worth it because I didn't have time to wait for that experience to come during the regular season.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 07:12am
Huck Finn

When you say "invite" do you have to pay? I don't consider it an invitation when you go to a camp and have to pay.
When you go to camps depends on your goals. I'm a junkie so the summer (camp season) is equally, if not more, important as the regular season. Contacts are made, contract are earned (or set up ), experience is gained and other things. Go to camp, you will benefit from it.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I went before my first year of HS, and it was great! The earlier in your career you can get to a camp, the better. You have fewer bad habits to unlearn, and more years to cement the good habits you'll learn there. As has been said, decide on your goals and let that help you decide which camps. If you're goal isn't to get picked up for one conference or another, choose the camps that will give you the best instruction.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
If you want to improve as an official, you should be going to camps every summer. It is one way to shorten the learning curve because you get so much personal attention that you can never get during the season. I started officiating late in life (@40) and got hooked. I have been to at least five camps every summer and have been in situations over my head nearly every time but it has made me better. I got picked up by 3 college conferences last year after doing 3 yrs of high school and that never would have happened if I had not gone to camp that first year and kept on going. The one negative is that I have lost a lot more money at this than I have made! Most of the camps I have been to cost around $300 but it was worth it because I didn't have time to wait for that experience to come during the regular season.
Information here ia correct....need to get camp training for sure during the first yr.Plus, overcome your fears of failure and jump in the water!!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmboswell
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
Information here ia correct....need to get camp training for sure during the first yr.Plus, overcome your fears of failure and jump in the water!!
I also started officiating at 40 after many yrs. as a coach...also hooked!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
Hello Guys,

When is a good time to go to camps? After your first year, second third etc or when you are ready.

I have been invited to a couple of camps, one is more of a camp to pick up officials for NCAA d2 conference. I was invited to the D2 one but i am a little afraid that i will be over my head. When do you know you are ready.

I definately want to go to a camp but want some advice

What are your opinions
Thanks

Best time to Camp is definitely the first yr. If you have been invited to a college level Camp your first year....I'd take advantage of the opportunity! Have Fun!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

The right officials camp.

Officials camps are for those who wish to improve their officiating. Of course you have those who already know how to officiate the game and do not need any improvements.

I would suggest a Division III camp. 1. It cost is less $250.00. A Division I camp may cost you $450.00. 2. Officials are seeking to move into a position to officiate the better high school games. 3. If you wish to move into to the Division III ranks. It will give you an idea where you needs are to improve. 4. If you think your ready for the big time. The clinicians are very open and honest about your officiating.

http://www.MWCofficials.com

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Whatever camp you decide to go to, make sure it is an instructional camp. A D1 camp at $450.00 usually is not. So don't bother. Many d3 camps are instructional since this is the entry level into NCAA officiating. When should you attend a camp. As Soon as possible. I know of one official in my area that has attended at least two camps every summer since he started officiating. He is now calling some games in the Gulf South Conference(Small D1) and he has only been calling 7 years.