The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Its been a while (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17564-its-been-while.html)

LarryS Wed Jan 12, 2005 09:24am

I had a girls varsity game last night and luckily it ended in a blow out.

I could never seem to get into a rhythm and felt like I was a half beat slow all night. I feel good about the calls (neither coaches or the fans seemed to be on me or my partner), but kept doing stupid things.

- Twice I reported fouls where I gave the correct number verbally but held up the wrong number.

- Ball went out on green...blew my whistle, yelled green and (you guessed it) pointed in white's direction.

- Two or three times there was a steal while I was trail and I was slow to react and start down the court...luckily they all resulted in uncontested layups.

I even think I gave the wrong signal reporting a foul to the table. Seemed like the more I tried to focus, the worse it got. Luckily there were no evaluators watching us.

After the game I commented to my partner that I felt I had an bad night and he suprised me by saying he thought I did a pretty good job. He must have had some really bad partners this season.

Hartsy Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS

I could never seem to get into a rhythm and felt like I was a half beat slow all night. I feel good about the calls (neither coaches or the fans seemed to be on me or my partner), but kept doing stupid things.

- Twice I reported fouls where I gave the correct number verbally but held up the wrong number.

- Ball went out on green...blew my whistle, yelled green and (you guessed it) pointed in white's direction.

- Two or three times there was a steal while I was trail and I was slow to react and start down the court...luckily they all resulted in uncontested layups.

I even think I gave the wrong signal reporting a foul to the table. Seemed like the more I tried to focus, the worse it got. Luckily there were no evaluators watching us.

After the game I commented to my partner that I felt I had an bad night and he suprised me by saying he thought I did a pretty good job. He must have had some really bad partners this season.

Sounds like all my games!

Rich Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:17am

Quote:

Or you're just being hard on yourself. Relax!

I had a good one last night. Girls, we didn't get started until about 7:50PM because the JV officials had both teams in the double bonus most of the fourth quarter. Yes, I said it that way cause that's how I meant it.

Anyhoo, we're in the fourth quarter of a game that is about a 25 point spread (26 total fouls from us :) ). Simple out of bounds on my partner's endline and he (correctly) gives the ball to the losing/visiting team.

Coach starts in on him and finishes with, "I'm sending a tape." Partner, without blinking, says "I hope it comes with an apology."

To be honest, he didn't seem to like us much. While we only called 26 fouls, at least 12 of those were off-ball fouls and 8 were against the winning team -- blocking cutters, holding cutters, illegal screens, etc. I know they're used to getting away with that normally.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59am

shoulda asked if you could get a copy.

maybe he outta put that tape to good use and have his team watch it and learn what they're doing wrong.

Smitty Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:35pm

Quote:

I feel your pain. I felt the same way last night in a game I worked with Tim Taylor from this board. It was a complete blowout and I couldn't get into the game at all. The pace was slow and I found myself getting bored and having a hard time focusing. I just wanted it to be over. It happens. Luckily I have another game tonight and can start all over again.

Rich Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

maybe he outta put that tape to good use and have his team watch it and learn what they're doing wrong.

It was the winning team's coach who made the remark. That's what made it even more "precious."

mj Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

It was the winning team's coach who made the remark. That's what made it even more "precious."

Same thing last week Rich. Partner had a block/charge that coach disagreed with. After a few choice words, he said he was going to get my address and send me the tape. That was last Tuesday and still have not received it.

Btw Rich, congrats on your tournament games you received.

mj

TimTaylor Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty

I feel your pain. I felt the same way last night in a game I worked with Tim Taylor from this board. It was a complete blowout and I couldn't get into the game at all. The pace was slow and I found myself getting bored and having a hard time focusing. I just wanted it to be over. It happens. Luckily I have another game tonight and can start all over again. [/B]
Yeah, final score was 61-13...and it wasn't that close! But we hung in there & got it done - that's what counts.

It must be a phase of the moon or something - last friday I had the girls JV for what should have been a good matchup. Two very good 4A girls programs, one school currently ranked #5 in the state. The score was 2-0 at the end of Q1, 11-7 at the half. Final was 24-17....it was hard to stay awake.....

Rich Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Quote:

Same thing last week Rich. Partner had a block/charge that coach disagreed with. After a few choice words, he said he was going to get my address and send me the tape. That was last Tuesday and still have not received it.

mj

Thanks. It's a lot more "public" now, isn't it. Do I know you? Maybe I need a less "public" username :)

mj Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:15pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Quote:

mj

Thanks. It's a lot more "public" now, isn't it. Do I know you? Maybe I need a less "public" username :)

I am a fellow Wisconsinite. We traded e-mails a long time ago about a situation you had with a coach.

It is a lot more "public". I am sure that will lead to more of the "who got what?"

David M Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:20pm

BJV game last night. My partner was a no show. Did the first 13 minutes of the first half (in Massachusetts we play 16 mintute halves) by myself, which I hate doing. With 3 minutes left in the half one of the varsity game officials came in to help me out but I was already in a bad mood and let it distract me. I developed rabbit ears and missed a couple of calls. Just a bad game overall.

Rich Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Quote:

mj

I am a fellow Wisconsinite. We traded e-mails a long time ago about a situation you had with a coach.

It is a lot more "public". I am sure that will lead to more of the "who got what?"

Yes. But I have to admit, I'm thrilled. This is my first year eligible -- I'm in my 18th season doing basketball (started as a college freshman in the 80s), but only the third in WI. Took three seasons to jump through the levels.

I see the WIAA is voting on going 3-whistle for all tournament games starting in 2008. That would be a great step forward.

--Rich

mj Wed Jan 12, 2005 02:13pm

Yes. But I have to admit, I'm thrilled. This is my first year eligible -- I'm in my 18th season doing basketball (started as a college freshman in the 80s), but only the third in WI. Took three seasons to jump through the levels.

I see the WIAA is voting on going 3-whistle for all tournament games starting in 2008. That would be a great step forward.

--Rich [/B][/QUOTE]

I am thrilled too...first sectional.

That's the first I have heard about 3-whistle.

mj

rainmaker Wed Jan 12, 2005 02:19pm

Quote:

I feel your pain. I felt the same way last night in a game I worked with Tim Taylor from this board. It was a complete blowout and I couldn't get into the game at all. The pace was slow and I found myself getting bored and having a hard time focusing. I just wanted it to be over. It happens. Luckily I have another game tonight and can start all over again.
Who was it? Who do you have tonight?

Smitty Wed Jan 12, 2005 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Who was it? Who do you have tonight?

Last night it was Girl's Varsity (Catlin Gable at Gaston). Big yawnfest. Driving all the freakin' way to Gaston didn't help. Tonight I'm at Hillsboro for a girl's JV against Liberty. Will probably be another blowout, but Hillsboro should at least have some skill. I had a nice string of 4 games that were one or two points difference at the end till last night. I think I was getting spoiled. :)